Do you drive your kid to school on the first day and let them ride the bus the rest of the year?

My husband's parents always took them the first day up to around 3rd grade and then they walked or rode the bus the rest of the year. My parents just made sure we knew where it was and sent us on our way. We're going to take Kyra the first day. It's kindergarten :-)
What do you do and what did your parents do?

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• My parents sent me on the bus, everyday. Okay, well in middle school I walked to school. Parents never drove me.

I drive my kids to the first day and everyday. His school doesn't have a buss and is 5+ miles away, so he can't walk.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I will probably walk with them to the bus stop and see them off, only because I have 3 kids, ages right now are 2, 10 months, and soon to be born, so they will be very close in age and harder to take in the school to see the other one off. my mother was the same way.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I grew up in a large city, and walked ACROSS the street to school! :o) My children take the bus now that we live in the country. I drove them for preschool, but I put them on the bus for the first day of Kindergarten. Our district had a "welcome new students" night, prior to school starting, and they offered a school bus ride to help orient the children. My kids LOVE the bus! They're going into 1st and 3rd grade. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My grandma always walked me to school or up to the school bus at least..until I was in the 4th grade.
    My son...I took him back and forth the whole year in kindergarten..there was no busing available for that.
    1st grade...I took him like the first week until we both felt comfortable that he knew what he was doing.
    2nd grade...I took him to a babysitter/daycare and the school bus picked him up and dropped him off there.
    3rd grade...bus picks up right in front of our house so he went that way straight from day one.
    But I did arrange a meeting with the principal and new teacher before school started so we could have a tour of the school becaus ewe had just moved..so he knew exactly where he was to go on his first day.
    4th grade..same school..same bus...same house :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The first 3 yrs. our kids were not on the bus. But now they are, (to save on gas) and yes(!!!) I take them on the first day - I wanna meet their teacher ( I normally volunteer in their classes once a week). I also take them on a few other occations, like if they are bringing a project or such, or if I'm volunteering that morning.

Mine are 7&10.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• P.S. My parents let me bike to school or walk....it was only 1/2 a mile away :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The first few days of kindergarten I drove him and walked him to his class until I was sure he knew where he was going (that was the norm for most of the kindy kids). Since then I only took him when we went to register him the week before school and made sure he could find his room. (we don't have buses here - budget cuts, but he's dropped at the door with the rest of the kids)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I did until the day came they wanted to ride the bus the first day, then I let them do that.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If we still live in the same area in September as we do now, I will walk with my daughter to and from school. The school is only a block and a half away. Of course she is only 3, so she is too young to walk by herself. When she gets older, I will still take her to school, either by walking her to school or driving her.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010