How long does it take to become a nurse?

And how much do nurses usually make to start out?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 4:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• For an AS in Nursing it takes about 3 years (1 year of general core classes and 2 years of nursing classes and clinicals). For a BSN, it takes about 4-5 years depending on the program. Starting out, nurses make anywhere from $36,000-$50,000 depending on who they work for and the location (big city or small town, etc)
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• What kind of nurse?

There are as many kinds of nurses are there are Drs.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• depends on what you are going for for associate degree nurse it will take apprx 2 years to complete that is not including to pre reqs. If you do it at a private school sometimes they include that in with the program. Depending on where you live determines pay. Here starting at 60,000 a few hours away from me starting at 85,000
    MylifeMylove23

Answer by MylifeMylove23 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have no idea! I didn't know that... Maybe a pediatric nurse.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If you want your Bachelor's degree for a better job it will take you 4 years. You can look up examples of nurses' pay by Googling it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In Missouri isn't 2 yrs to study to be an RN. But I'm pretty sure there are classes you have to take before that. So it would be 2 yrs plus 1/2 to 1 yr. An LPN takes 1 yr.

Some become a Certified Nurse Assistant in a few weeks then work on their LPN or RN while they gain experience.
    After the 2yr RN you can get a BSN with an additional 2 yrs but you can do those studies online while you're working as an RN.
    cwahmommie

Answer by cwahmommie at 4:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would start looking into it now. Im in the middle of trying to get into a program and so far I have been on a wait list for almost 2 years. That is just to get into the program. Then it's 2 years for the program and that is for ADN. I want to go on and get my BSN. Where are you?
    MylifeMylove23

Answer by MylifeMylove23 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Here at a local vo-tech school you can become an LPN in one year (two semesters) but it's definitely jam-packed. RN is a 2 year degree, I believe and is also very jam-packed. I did the first semester of LPN and it was very competitive. Here it only costs about 1.5k-2k a semester, but that's also because it's small local school.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010