autism?

I've been hearing a lot about autism lately, and Its kind of freaking me out. I have a three year old son, he love being around children and adults. He is just flat out a people person. He was a late talker, but he now talks and makes his needs known. He knows his ABC's, can count, and LOVE music. However when he is excited he does the hand flapping, and sometimes walks on his toes. He is a very social child with excellent eye contact. I just am worried about the hand flapping and toe thing. He also loves wheels. ANy input moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Why are you worried about the hand flapping? Just because it's a symptom of autism doesn't mean it's exclusive to autism.  If there is nothing else that points to a problem than just relax and enjoy your very amazing boy!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with Cindy. hand flapping is a stimulatory behavior, and toe walking are signs of autism, but they are nothing to fear. Maybe you could speak with your son's doctor, and set up a evaluation for him.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If he has autism at all it's very mild. Possibly even Aspergers syndrome. But hand flapping and toe walking aren't necessarily "symptoms", they are an expression of his excitement. Take him to a developmental pediatrician if you are that concerned. I'd be more concerned if he had poor eye contact and poor joint attention. Even if he has it, it is not the end of the world. Alot of autistic people function just fine in society. It will depend on where he hits the spectrum.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I did the hand flapping thing too when I got excited. I assure you I have no other "signs" of autism. He could be walking on his toes because he recently learned how to do it..
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Hand flapping & toe walking are developmentally normal for his age, so I wouldn't worry about those behaviors. Same for the fascination with wheels.

Many people fail to understand that almost all of the typical behaviors associated with autism are normal kid behaviors, but they're normal kid behaviors taken to the extreme. So if your kid flaps his hands when he's excited, that's normal, but if your would kid prefer to flap his hands instead of playing with his toys, that's not normal. See what I mean? It's the same for any of the other behaviors; you need to ask yourself: Is the behavior not age appropriate and/or is he doing it to the exclusion of all else? No? Then don't worry about it.

Autism is a syndrome & we can all shows individual symptoms of it at some point, but it is only diagnosable when you show most of the symptoms all of the time, across all environments.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If you really suspect your child has Autism I would suggest you do a google search and find out what the signs are and if your child has any of them. Then if you still have concerns about your son possibly being on the spectrum I would suggest you call your doctor and have your child evaluated. If your child does have it, it is not the end of the world, he will still be the same wonderful little boy you know and love.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I noticed noone mentioned sensory issues, I highly doubt your child has autism, but he may have some mild sensory processing issues, or he could be completely fine and just messing around. You can do a google search for sensory processing disorder and download a checklist of sytoms to see if this is something to look intom also alk to your ped. They canhelp figure out wether you should be concerned or not.We have 2 with SPD so know all about flapping and all or those things LOL!!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010