When is my son being autistic vs my son being just a 'brat'

How do I know when to correct and 'punish' vs. correct and redirect. I dpn't want to punish him for something he can't help or doesn't understand but I don't want him to be a hellion either! Like at the store. If we are there to long he flips out and starts crying over everything. He sounds like a brat but I also know he is very sensitive to sound such as the echos in a large store. Or when he gets way to rough with his sister. I know he has social skill issues and emotion recognition so maybe he has no idea he is upsetting her. ...I dunno! He is 6. Diagnosed Asperger's 1 year ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I struggle with this with my bipolar guy and I probably strayed to the side of he was acting bipolar and went easy on him so now that he is older (and bigger) he has much more trust in me. He is complimented on how well behaved and charming he is. As well, luckily, we found a Dr that gave us a better diagnosis and the right meds and life is going great.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Always correct and redirect.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Correct every time. That's the only way to cover your bases.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would sit him down and try talking to him. I don't know too much about Asperger's, but I am going out on a limb here. I wish i could be of more help I really do. Just remeber what you are saying here they he has a real disorder. I do not belive ADD and ADHD are real problems but we all know that Asperger's is. I hope something helps. Is there anyway you can get a sitter when you go to the store at least. i have a 2 year old that throws monster tantrums and I am embarssed i can only imagine how you feel. I bet you want to go on the loadspeaker and tell the store your son is NOT brat he has Asperger's! He is your baby and I can tell by your post that you love him! Just do what you are doing and talk to him. It will not only comfort him but it will also teach him! Good luck momma!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010