DO you believe high Functioning Autism exist?

My firend doesn't which really hurts me since my son is in fact HFA. She has never out right said it but she makes comments all the time about how what my son does is 'normal' or can be 'corrected'... It really bothers me. Do other peole feel like she does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes of course it exists. What an extraordinarily silly woman. Does she think that there are not different levels of severity in other things either? A tornado and light rain are equally scary situations? How odd
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 4:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Just like every other thing in life, autism is a continuum. It goes from normal all the way over to the most severe forms. Sometimes it's overdiagnosed, I think, but I think most of us recognize that HFA does indeed exists.

I'm sorry your friend hurts your feelings :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• no, it exists -
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son is also HFA, so yes, I do believe it exists. It's just my opinion, but it sounds like your friend could use a little autism awareness education. Maybe let her spend a day with your son on one of his not so good days, it might change her mind. Good luck,Hon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son has a high functioning form of autism. It definitely DOES exist, but with the proper therapy and positive re enforcement, my son is getting better slowly. I do agree that sometimes it is over diagnosed because doctors do not want to take the time to examine each, individual child. Every case of autism is different. No two autistic children are the same, and that is what some people fail to realize.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes, but like Ati 13, I think that sometimes it is overdiagnosed. Just like depression, bi-polar, and other mood disorders.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Sorry, but I think your friend is batty! There is no doubt in my mind, or in the medical community that HFA exists... Is she one of these people that beliefs AIDS isn't deadly too? If anyone ever told me my child could be fixed or corrected, I think I would be positively pissed - and they would know it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

•  

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Of course it exists. Sadly, there are many people in the world like your friend who think they know so much more than the medical professionals and the families that deal with things like this everyday.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010