WHat exactly is autism?

I've been hearing a lot about autism lately, and Its kind of freaking me out. I have a three year old son, he love being around children and adults. He is just flat out a people person. He was a late talker, but he now talks and makes his needs known. He knows his ABC's, can count, and LOVE music. However when he is excited he does the hand flapping, and sometimes walks on his toes. He is a very social child with excellent eye contact. I just am worried about the hand flapping and toe thing. He also loves wheels. ANy input moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds to me like your son is not autistic.

My son is 2 1/2 years old, and has regressed terribly. He no longer talks, just babbles and repeats what others say. He does not count or say his ABC's anymore. He throws terrible fits that involve him banging his head, and biting his hands. He does flap his hands when excited, but does not run on his toes. My son has terrible problems falling asleep, and staying asleep. He does not eat well anymore. He is very sensitive to loud noises. And he can not express what he wants.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son also refuses to make eye contact. I forgot to mention that.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Autism is so hard to explain. It really takes research and learning to understand it, and even then its complicated.

EVERY CHILD with autism is different. For instance, my dd LOVES music, loves to hug, loves people, loves to play...had language delay but is coming along.

My dd has been able to read since she was 2. Can read anything you put in front of her, not just easy kid books.

But she just has issues following direction and having conversations.

My dd is very mild aspergers which is high functioning autism. Possibly even hyperlexic which is the opposite of dyslexic...therefore she decodes words VERY easily. And can read.

Its complicated. Really complicated. If you look at the list of characteristics long enough, you will begin to think you may even be autistic in some ways...b/c the symptoms are so "normal" on their own....its just a combination of them that leads to a diagnosis.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Autism Spectrum Disorders are a group of neurologically-based disabilities. People with ASD may have problems with sicoal, emotional, and communication skills. They might repeat certain behaviors, and resist change in their daily routines. A child or adult with autism may avoid eye contact and prefer to be alone. They may have unusual reactions to the smell, taste, look, feel or sound of things. People with autism ofter repeat or echo words or phrases in place of typical language.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010