Question for presbyterians, methodists, lutherans, and other Mainline Protestants.

Is being saved/born again really emphasized in your churches? Obviously it is with Evangelical/Baptist/Fundamentalist churches. Doesn't seem to be a term used at all with Catholics. Just wondering if these denominations stress being "saved" as a requirement for heaven or just being a good person who tries to live according to Christian principles.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Presbyterian (PCA denomination) and we do emphasize the need to be saved by grace through faith in Christ alone. I'm familiar with the Missouri Synod Lutherans also and they teach the same.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 5:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am no longer Lutheran, but in the days that I was, I attended a Myssori Synod Lutheran Church and we were never told that we 'Had" to be born again, but saved thru the Grace of God thru Jesus Christ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's not stressed in my church, which is Methodist. That's why I'm looking for a new church. A more Bible believing church.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I hope you don't mind if I answer as a Catholic. The Catholic Church teaches that we are born again at baptism (John 3:5) through water and spirit. We also believe that the Holy Spirit enters into our lives more fully through the sacraments. Confirmation is similar to a public declaration of faith and commitment to Christ. We believe that being saved is a process. There are Scripture passages that speak of us having been saved, being saved, and will be saved. I wish we would hear more from priests about having a personal relationship with Jesus and inviting Him into our lives. That is something we believe, but I think the message could be more clear.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Both Catholics and many other mainstream denoms use the term born again-

John 5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

The difference in doctrines is that Catholics consider baptism to be the time when Christians are born again. Most protestant/fundamentalist reject the thought that baptism is necessary to be born again.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 7:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I went to both Presbyterian and Methodist churches. Neither emphasized infant baptism, but they still performed the service. I was baptized in a pool by a United Methodist minister at 13, and was later saved in my 1st Presbyterian church youth group.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Annq.atlanta, I didn't realize that Presbyterian and Methodist churches baptize infants. I wonder if that is still the case. That is interesting.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am a lifelong Methodist.I teach confirmation classes and am on our children-youth-college boards.In the Methodist church infant baptism is still the most predominant form of baptism.Younger children receive no extra instruction.Children around 9 and up that do not wish to wait for confirmation class to become baptized will meet with a minister several times to get some instruction.After confirmation class which is 6th grade for us teens will attend classes for about a semester and normally have a group baptism in the very late spring.Adults attend classes that can be joined anytime in the year ;the adults attend till they have had complete instruction and can choose to be baptized anytime after that.The Methodist church believes in only one baptism.Someone may repent but they are not baptized again.It recognizes  baptism from any church that believes in the Holy Trinity.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In the MS Lutheran church where I taught infant baptism was the course of action and it was taught that once this was done the child was then "saved". There was not the need to dedicate yourself as your parents should have already done this. BTW, we are not Lutheran, I just learned some of the doctrine while teaching there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2010