How much time or what kind of schedule do you dedicate to potty training your DD or DS???

This is my first so i'm grabbing at straws here! How often do you ask them or take them to go to the potty.....? What are their rewards for "trying" and actually "going"....?

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Currently potty training my almost 17 month old( hafta say almost 17 month because I want her to stay little long as possible,LOL).
    I'm at home all day (I babysit other kids for my income) so I just work with her all day.When she wakes up in the morning, I take her diaper off and she goes and sits on the potty(for like 3 seconds then takes off with the toilet paper,lol).She follows me to the bathroom every time I have to go and she insists on taking her diaper off and sitting on her potty too(and I go often becuase I'm huge prego and drink tons of water all day,lol). And then throughout the day, she takes her diaper off, so everytime she does that I sit her on the potty.
    She peed in it the 1st time today..her reward was just my great enthusiam, I clapped my hands and was just so happy, she started clapping too,lol. I guess her reward for just trying to go is that she gets to sit on her potty,shes infatuated with it right now
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• potty learning~wait for the kids "budda belly" to go flat. It shows their pelvis has grown and their organs have dropped down..easier for kids to feel their pee and full feeling.

This is their deal~but about a month of your focus. The easier the clothes for kids to do the better and I think kids should be doing their own clothes.

I ask kids~hows your pee?...feel your body...do you need to let it out? If they say I feel it, I drop everything and excitingly take them to the potty like it is the event of the moment!

I like the potty on the real potty and my kids where big when they potty learned so they could do it just fine (containment is the key for me).

It didn't matter if pee came out~but we talked a lot about letting the pee out and that feeling.

Up to do clothes and wash hands and on with play~that's it...just our time and focus is the reward and the real reward is "you are learning the potty" self mastering!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010