Estimated legal costs and process...

My sister-in-law is not stable, at all, not even close. She has mental, health, drug, legal, every issue you can have basically. She has a 4 yr old who I love and have cared for 100% for the past year. SIL has asked me to adopt her, legally. Right now I have legal cust only. What is the procedure for something like this?

And please don't give me your negative opinion of what I'm doing, I know the risks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Adoption

• I have no idea how much it cost.. But i think it's btchen what you are doing for that child.. at least you can give her a better positive life full of love! we need more people like you out there who are unselfish and want better for children with mothers who can not take care of their children and it's pretty awesome of her to let go and allow you to do this.. Please keep in mind for the future that if she does change to allow her to be apart of her life in some way.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• 3k-5k...attorney fees, background checks, court costs, homestudy. Where is the birth father and will he terminates his parental rights easily?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't think we've ever paid more than $800 for attorney's fees, but that can vary. PP brought up the child's father. Is he also unstable and into drugs? If he is unstable and contests, it could end up costing more. If he is stable and won't sign, he will most likely get custody.

Homestudy costs can also vary. You're probably looking at another $1000. PP's estimate may be pretty close, or you may get it done cheaper than that. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I meant all together 3k-5k. Our attorney fees were $800 too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We couldn't find the birthfather and when we did he wouldn't sign the papers so our attorney fees were about $5000.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010