Why is virginity prized so highly?

I, personally, feel sorry for anyone who has only ever know the touch of ONE other person.

(cross-posted in "Relationships")

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The real reason? Inheritance. It has nothing to do with the woman - it's about the man knowing the child inheriting his estate is truly his offspring. If they'd had DNA testing in prehistoric times, it's likely the whole virgin til marriage thing would never have happened. It persists because it's ingrained into culture - same as most morals - people were scared into believing them, either by the promised wrath of a god or by laws promising serious retribution. It's no different than bans on pork - there is no issue with pork, there was just no means of utilizing it without spreading disease at the time. Rather than watch people die, they told them God says don't eat pork, and they stopped.

Now with all that said, the pendulum has swung too far. Virginity is thrown away like a used tissue these days, and young people enter sexual relationships long before they learn how to have a celibate one and get to know each other
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think a lot of its value comes from the long history of treating women like property. Rich men did not want their property touched by another man, and virginity practically guaranteed he'd be siring their first child. Blood lines were very important to the wealthy, and an 'unclean' woman could be pregnant with someone of poor blood.

Very chauvanist attitude, of course. That's why male virginity has never been prized highly.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My husband and I were both virgins when we got married. We have learned and grown together sexually and we have an incredible bond. We have never had to worry about STDs or unplanned pregnancies. I too have never regretted waiting.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 5:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• shay113.... The only way to learn your body is to sleep around?
    Im sure there are virgins out there that have got to know their bodies very well on a 1on1 level (LOL) because of their lack of partners.. No man knows my body better than *I* know my body... so the only guy that knows how to touch me is the one i teach ;-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I can tell you that in my religion, it's just as important for the male to be a virgin as well, and to have kept himself morally clean just as the females have. They aren't less acountable for their chastity as the women are.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Why would you feel sorry for those of us who waited? Wasted energy. Not only do we know our own bodies we know our own minds enough to know exactly what we're looking for in a mate. He and I both waited. It's a gift we gave each other and no one else has ever gotten it. We both had our reasons for waiting, most of them biblical. If you arent playing with fire you arent gonna get burnt. There are many things I'll try in life --flavors of cheesecake, different clothing styles, but male flavor of the day (week, month, year) just isnt for me. I got it right the first time. ;)
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Why would you feel sorry for someone who has given that gift of virginity to only the person they intend to spend the rest of their life with? It is a huge honor to show to that person.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm not sorry that I saved myself for my husband, every time he touches me it still gives me butterflies, I don't see myself with anyone else nor do I ever want to.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Well, you can be sure that person is free of STD's. Also each person is only a virgin one time making it special to some. I'm glad to have had a variety of partners but I think I would have been equally fine to have had just one. To each his/her own in that respect.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I saved myself for the person I knew I was going to spend the rest of my life with. We were both virgins when we met and are both so glad we were able to share our first time with each other! He was my first and I hope my last. And I was his first and hopefully I will be his last. We are happily married and haven't regretted not sleeping around once.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010