Isn't this against the law?

My husband has not seen or heard from his brother in over six years. We have moved twice in those 6 years. His brother has not shared this phone number with us or this (or the previous three) addresses with my husband. HOWEVER we keep getting phone calls for him for what appears to be a collections agency. I really do not know my BIL too well as I only met him once for a very brief time. When they call, I say,"Sorry, no one with that name lives" here and they will usually respond with "Well isn't he (husband's name)'s brother." ME: "Yes, he is his brother, but he doesn't live here, he doesn't even live in this county as far as I'm aware and we haven't seen or heard from him in 6 years". THEM: "Well we called his number to speak to his brother". I honestly thought that collections can not call family members looking for the person who owes them. These people are rude and some refuse to believe me about not seeing him.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• The problem is that you DH's brother has put your number down as a contact. There really isn't anything you can to about it as far as I know. My Brother is dealing with the same thing from his ex wife of 13 years
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I've gotten calls like that too. I don't think its illegal...unless you tell them not to call and then they keep calling you..then thats harrassment.
    Keep a record of who is calling, when they are calling and make sure to get thier name and phone number..once you do that tell them what you are doing and if they call again, they will be reported for harrassment, hopefully that will get them to stop.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't know if it's illegal to call family members but I do believe it's illegal to harass anyone. I would tell them that you are looking into harassment charges since they keep calling you. I bet they stop.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No it's not really illegal.

If you BIL put your husband's name down as a contact at anytime. They can and will call.. Also some credit contracts allow the creditor to contac 3rd parties in regards to the debt.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Oh, shoot..... I was thinking that I wouldn't even know how he would have gotten this number, but then I remembered...we DID send him a wedding invitation with our number to RSVP too. He didn't call, or come to the wedding, but that could be how he got the number.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• you can ask them not to call and tell them you are putting them on a "no call list"..there is such things as "no call lists" for collections and stuff. idk any numbers or anything. maybe if you just threaten them they will stop. maybe look it up. i think its called national no call registry
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• He may have put your husband's name down once for a reference. Once the system has you linked to said person they will keep calling. The "do not call" registry is not for collection agencies it's for advertising and spam phone calls such as surveys and newspapers. Collection agencies have the right to collect debt, and unfortunately your husband is linked to him. Just tell them to stop calling, and hopefully it will end. Good luck!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We had that happen to us. We got a land line hooked up and we started getting calls like that for people who had the numbers before us. The collectors did not believe me when I said we where not those people. They even asked if we lived at a certain address, they named off. I said no that is not our address. They tried to get my address. I said no. They kept calling. Tell we moved and changed phone numbers. I just started hanging up on them.

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not only is it illegal, you can sue the company and win BIG. I live in the state of Maine and all we have to do is call up the state and they sue the collection places for us. I've won several cases for much the same reasons. I paid an old dept and they called anyway. One bill I didn't know I had and they called my work - I never had to pay it because the state sued them for me and I got a big fat check in the mail. Start by asking them their name, the name of the company and why they are calling. Tell them you have no idea where your BIL is and if they call again you will take them to court. Either they will stop OR you can take them to court. They keep calling because they know you don't know your rights, but knowing your rights can become an income!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 5:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Depending on your state laws, they can call you, especially if your BIL put your DH down as a reference or even an emergency contact on say a rental application. I've gotten collections calls for my parents, and I tell them they have the wrong number and hang up before they can say anything else. If they persist, then I begin threatening to report them to the FTC and any other abbreviation I can think of. Typically though, I just don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number on the caller ID.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010