has anyones child have to go under general anesthesia for dental work?

if so ide like to know your experiences with it and how everything went.Im scared to death.my 2yr old has to go under for 2 caveties and 2 caps on his front teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my son did when he was 2 1/2, the hospital he was sent to allowed me back in the operating room while they put him to sleep.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No. WHY would they want to put crowns (or caps) on baby teeth?
    One of my kids had "happy gas" for a cavity. But none of them have had to have general. They prefer novacaine.So do I.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Im not sure how to answer you all indivisualy.but yea they want to put caps on the 2 to prevent the permanent teeth from getting damage cause if you dont fix baby teeth it can affect permanent ones.he has to go under because of his weight and age they said they dont do nitrouse oxide on pt under 2 1/2 and he will be 2 on the 1th of this month and only 24lb
    ALLSPORTMOM

Answer by ALLSPORTMOM at 5:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my ds did at age 3. They had to do caps because of where the cavity on the tooth was, they said that caps would protect it better, and that a regular filling would fall out.
    As for how he did, they first put numbing cream on his arm, so that when they put in the IV he didnt' feel it, there was a nurse blowing bubbles distracting him while the other nurse held his arm and put in the IV. He had no idea! then they layed him down, put a warm blanket on him, and a heart rate monitor, and he fell asleep. They came to get me when he started to wake up, and he had a drink, and he was sorta out of it and puked several times before we left the hospital, and napped when we got home. He was fine the next day though.
    He more recently(couple months ago) had to have one filling put back in as it fell out, and they did it at the office. He had some medicine that he drank in juice and that just made him more relaxed, he did good :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My boys do every time they need work done. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's never been an extremely negative experience. They do tend to be groggy afterwards, but thats to be expected.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Both of my friends kids had the same thing done as yours will be. They did great. I know a lot of dentists, even pediatric, that will NOT do work on a child under 5 unless they are put under in a hospital. My friends kids were drowsy after and slept on and off the rest of the day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not for dental work, but for two heart surgeries at age 5 and a procedure at age 1. I was so nervous everytime. I hated it! But, it was more serious than dental work.
    A little groggy after waking up is all she had from it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My son did back in Jan of this year. He was 5 and he did just fine. They filed a few cavities and put in a bridge. He woke up and wanted ice cream and popsicles and was full of energy by the time we were getting ready to leave the hospital. A few hours later you'd never have guessed that he'd had surgery. Kids bounce back fast. GL.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• First off, try not to be scared. General anesthesia, when administered by a licensed anethesiologist in a dental office, is safe and more comforting than being in a hospital setting. I work for KidZdent, a pediatric dental office in Old Bridge, NJ where we also do sedation dentistry, orthodontics and take care of special needs patients. All of our patients are sedated right here in the office and monitored throughout the procedure.

Find out where the sedation would be administered and who would monitor it. Here at KidZdent, we have a licensed anethesiologist right here in our sedation center who stays around the entire time.

Check out our Web site for useful infomation on this, as well as other pediatric & orthodontic services.

Good luck and stay strong - you don't want your child seeing you nervous!

www.kidzdent.com
    2455 Route 516, Old Bridge, NJ 08857
    732-679-2323
    Facebook: KidZdent
    JerseyGirl444

Answer by JerseyGirl444 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 29, 2010