How can I regain feeling good about myself after double mastcetomy. Left horrible scars and there is no chance for reconstruction.

k.k.909

Asked by k.k.909 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• I am terribly sorry to hear about your mastcetomy! I am sure you are a beautiful woman inside and out! Try to do things for YOURSELF that make you feel amazing! You deserve it! Good luck to you! I wish you nothing but the best!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I haven't been in your situation but I know they make very realistic fake breasts that you place in your bra. Many people I cared for in a nursing home had them and you would never know unless they removed their shirt. Just remember that you went through Hell and survived. You are beautiful with or without your breasts.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I do not know how you feel, at all. But I hope you do not define yourself by your breasts. Go and buy one of those bras with fake boobs in them. You are alive. Be happy for that.

Answer by louise2 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have never been in your situation but I think anything you can do to make your self feel pretty would help. buy a new out fit. Try some new make up. Get a pedicure. My bet is you are as gorgeous now as ever you have just forgotten. :0) Good luck to you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I can't say what to do about your inner self esteem but would you consider wearing bra inserts? My co-worker has been wearing one since her single mastectomy and she looks normal and pleased with the look.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Is there a support group through the hospital you were at? I wish you nothing but the best. You are a survivor!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• *huge hugs* You are still just as beautiful! Never forget that! xoxoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• sorry to hear, hope you are feeling better and have no more cancer ever

try to find the humor
    and laugh at yourself
    find support group, women who have also been though can make jokes about situation that others can not
    google comedian women who have had mastcetomy, i remember seeinga comedian once laugh and make jokes about this, i thought she was amazingly strong
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You will eventually find that you are living your life just fine. As was suggested above, you can get bra inserts if you want to. You are more than your breasts, not that that makes a person feel any better. I have seen pictures of women who got pretty tattoos where the breasts used to be, if you are into body decorating you might consider this. Give yourself lots and lots of time to get over this. A neighbor who lost a breast- I asked her how she managed the mental anguish. She said, what you do is you get up in the morning, you put on your bra, and you get on with your life. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 5:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• OMG girl! You are SO much more than just a pair of boobs! You are a survivor and a fighter! And if anyone should ever judge you by your scars, and not by WHO you are, then they dont deserve to be your friend!
    mybabybugssmile

Answer by mybabybugssmile at 5:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010