Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

name change

so i went to get shild support and they tell me me and my ex need to decide on a last name for the baby ( he has my last name) I refuse to change it!!! she said if we dont decide then the judge will... my ex wants him to have his last name, so we dont agree and never will... so it will be put up to the judge.... the reason i dont want to change it is because i have another son who also has my last name, it would make since all 3 of us had the same last name... and the baby is disabled so i know that kids will make fun of him for that and having a different last name then his whole family is just going to make it worse on him... has anyone delt with this, what did you do?? or if the judge decided what was the choice??

Answer Question

Asked by mommy2b17MV at 5:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • if you're going for child support only, I believe the ex has to file a different motion to have the child's last name changed or his name added on the birth certificate. I could be wrong but I think these are 2 separate issues.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • this is what the lady at the office told us!!

    Comment by mommy2b17MV (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Depending on the state, you do not have to change the last name of the child for support, nor can the ex make you do so. The judge will probably find that this is a waste of his time should the ex push the issue. All that is needed for support is proof of paternity, name has nothing to do with it.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • child support***

    Comment by mommy2b17MV (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • Even if the father is on the birth certificate, the child does not have to have his last name! My oldest son's father is on the birth certificate, but he has my last name. Nothing was mentioned about it by child support enforcement when I went for child support.

    I do not believe that lady knew what she was talking about.

    And even if that is the case where you live, I am pretty sure the judge would decide in your favor since you are the one with custody, the judge will understand what a problem it causes for the child with school and such to have a different last name.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • that is messed up~I changed all my kids names at adoption (and SS#) and it was a huge hassle. My last adoption was a nightmare with me changing my medically fragile son's name~he is AKA his old keep medical records straight is the angle I would go with a protest (I really shouldn't have done it~the baby was 2 yrs old).

    I really like all my kids having one last name...mine!

    Answer by surfcitymom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

  • I didn't change my babies name and the judge didn't say anything.

    Answer by QandA at 6:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.