has anyones child have to go under general anesthesia for dental work?

if so ide like to know your experiences with it and how everything went.Im scared to death.my 2yr old has to go under for 2 caveties and 2 caps on his front teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have had 3 kids have to go under. It is scary. Anytime anyone goes under anesthesia it is scary. They didnt have any negative effects from it though. I did make sure that the procedure was done at a hospital.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my dd had to have cavities filled. I was nervous too but it worked out get . She was very cranky afterwards though. You have to feel comfortable with the dr too.
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I haven't had to deal with this but I am wondering if the work is absolutely necessary? What about getting a second opinion.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not for dental work but I've had three different children put under general for surgical procedure. 2 of the three woke up and vomited but began to feel better quickly. It is scary when they go under. Just be ready for them to be disoriented when they wake up at first. I was always able to be there as they woke up so the first face they saw was Me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son had to have this done. He was 4 and autistic and they didn't want to traumatize him. I hated to see that done to him, but that was the third time he needed to go under anesthesia. . He had two surgeries before to correct some medical issues.He had to have surgery one more time after that as well He was fine every time he went under.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• DD HAD TO ABOUT A YEAR AGO .....SHE DID GREAT AND THE WHOLE DAY AFTER SHE WAS CALM AND RELAXED....IT WAS GREAT ! I WAS A NERVOUS TRAIN WRECK BUT IT TURNED OUT GOOD!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son is a teenager now but he has had to go under general anesthesia for dental work. Anytime they do much of anything they have to put him under. It's a simple process, you get to be there until they are ready to take him in the room (if its done at the hospital). As long as your family doesnt have a history of problems under anesthesia your child should be fine. I know it's a scary thing when things like this happen for our little ones. Take your hubby or a friend if it helps. :)
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had a horrible experience with my son and general anesthesia at the dentists. He was little, probably around 5. He only needed a baby tooth pulled and they had to knock him out. They wouldn't let me in the room with him and I heard him screaming the whole time. After they were done, my husband had to sit in the back seat with him while I drove home. My son was fighting him the whole way, trying to punch and kick him. He was still wound up when we got home, but he finally went to sleep and slept for a long time. The anesthesia had a really bad effect on him. I would definitely get a second opinion.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010