School supply list? What do they DO with all the scissors!!??

okay so for K I had to buy all this consumable stuff, markers and such and a pair of scissors. This year again I have to buy scissors. And all the way through 5th grade. You don't get them back...Where do they go? I mean thats A LOT of scissors! lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I put DS's name on everything, I don't care if they "prefer" to have communal supplies. They cannot force you to do otherwise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I actually get my son's left over supplies back, but as a teacher, this is what I hear and see alot

ME: OK class, I need you to clean out your desk. Put anything that is trash in the trash can and put items that need to be taken home in your backpack.

ME: Jack, why are you throwing away your pencil case, with your scissors, pens, pencils and markers in it? You should take that home. You can use those items at home or bring it back next year.

JACK: Nah.... my mom will just buy me new stuff next year.

ME: Jack, I better not get a call from your mother asking me where this stuff went. I will tell her the truth, that you just threw the items in the trash.

JACK: Jeesh, Ms L, My mom don't care. Honest.

I see sooo much stuff just thrown away. But I also see a lot of broken scissors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We have always recieved our sissors back...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• ALL our supplies are to share. it says DO NOT LABEL WITH NAMES. I don't get the scissors though. lol
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If they're treated anything like the scissors in my son's kindergarten class, you don't WANT them back. I paid somewhere around a quarter a pair last year. Not really bothered by the loss. I'm assuming the teacher just tosses them because they're not fit to use anymore anyway.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• That is odd. When I was in school we labeled everything we brought to school. There was no such thing as "everyone shares". I'd have a big problem with that. There is no way I would send my kids to school without their names on their supplies.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have not received a single pair of scissors back. EVER. I can sorta understand younger kids and the breaking thing, but as they get older you think they would know better. And yeah for the first couple of years they did the community property /sharing which I don't agree with personally, but when they got a bit older it stopped. For the record my kids are in 7th,4th,2nd, and pre-k this year. That's alot of scissors that I never got back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If my students still have their scissors by the end of the year they get them back. MANY kids lose those things as the year goes on. Where they wind up, I just don't know. lol
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010