is it ok to buy my son a toy kitchen?

hi,,

I was hoping that someone would advise me about this, I'm a stay-at-home mom, my little boy is 29 months,, and everyday I just run out of ideas to keep him busy in a fun useful way for him, he has all kinds of toys,,, but he gets bored fast,, more than once while we are in a toy store, he stops to play with a toy kitchen and he seems to like it (well maybe he likes to imitate me while I cook and wash dishes),,, but I was somehow reluctant of getting him this toy,, personally I dont see anything wrong with a boy playing with a kitchen stuff, but I could really use more advice of the great moms out here,,,

thanks alot,,,

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 5:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i see absolutely nothing wrong with any child having a toy kitchen
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not seeing the problem. If its something he'd enjoy, by all means. When my youngest was that age he had a vacuum and a baby doll. He's still a very rough and tumble 6 year old now. He just likes to vacuuum and is very gentle with real babies :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• of course it's fine. Men need to know how to cook-

I'd say got for it if he wanted a make up kid- they are kids, and I think play is about pretending-
    let him have fun!
    men who cook make great husbands!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• There's absolutely nothing wrong with a boy playing with kitchen toys. In my eyes, that is a gender neutral toy anyway. Even if you were getting him a babydoll because he wanted to play with one, there would be no problem, it wouldn't make him less secure in his gender. Actually, in the long run, those who stick less to gender stereotypes are more secure in their gender.
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• YES!! Both my boys loved the kitchen!! Now 6 and 8 they love to help cook pancakes and eggs , they help me making the salads and love to help bake. My husband is a surfer and a hunter and he was even ok with it ( I was a little worried that he would think I was getting them girly things). But he loves to grill and cook too. Just think, one day that boy will make someone a great hubby!
    Islandmom05

Answer by Islandmom05 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• thanks for all the lovely answers,,,

appreciate it.....

God bless you and your families,,,
    mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My boys and my grandson had or have toy kitchens. They also had boy dolls. We teach our children stereotyping even at 2 by choosing only gender specific toys. My grand-kids are only 14 months apart. they play together everyday. She loves his cars and trains. He loves the kitchen stuff and her Barbies. My husband got his shorts in a knot about it at first..but he grew to accept it. I think it's a perfect way to teach boys nurturing.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son was my first born and he had one that our girls still use. Good experience that men can and should help out in the kitchen, too!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My boys (now 10 and 8yrs) LOVED their play kitchen. They were so upset with me a couple of years ago when I got rid of it LOL!
    Aren't most famous chefs men???
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• BTW..when my youngest was 8 or 9 they BEGGED for an EASY Bake oven. They were all PINK back then. We bought it anyway. They were constanting baking something. I just thought about this.. both my grown sons lovbe to cook..if fact they wound up marrying women with no clue in the kitchen so they do 95% of the cooking. Hadn't thought about that when I answered earlier.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010