My child just started Vyvanse today...anything I should look for. I know what the papers say but you guys may have more insight.

Islandmom05

Asked by Islandmom05 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The only issues my daughter had were slight loss of appetite and trouble falling asleep. Both of those problems lessened after a week or two.  Make sure your child takes it first thing in the morning so it will wear off before bedtime, and give him/her a nice breakfast in case he/she isn't hungry at lunchtime.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son was on it for 3 days. For him the side effects were too bad. His side effects were loss of appetite, problems sleeping, and very emotional. He would go from crying to being angry within seconds and that was NOT like him at all. Keep in mind though, that all medicine responds differently to different people.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Later in the afternoon today he had major crying jags and then he did get very upset and threw a fit. He never crys like that! I am so up set! He seems ok now just not tired at all. Ill watch him very close tomorrow and see. I feel so guilty, I didn't want to do the medicine but he has severe Dyslexia and the clinician said he really need to be able to concentrate in order to develop skills needed to cope. I just feel awful! So you gave it three days and then what?
    Islandmom05

Comment by Islandmom05 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• After three days of my child not being my child, I stopped giving him the medicine and called his doctor. I told him what the side effects were and we discussed on the phone what our next option was. We tried Focalin XR. For my son, it worked wonders! We have had to adjust his dosage but his teacher has said that she could tell a huge difference from the start of school until the end of the school year. My son is a pretty smart boy, but it has been amazing the things that he has been able to learn because of the medicine allowing him to focus.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks for the info. He is somewhat better today, but we are still having the crying fit when he can't get things done the way he wants them. Did you find that he was really focused on one thing? Im going to give it until Friday. Im writing a log of his actions and how he feels. Thanks again.
    Islandmom05

Comment by Islandmom05 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I too wrote a journal/log. I went back and reread it again today and I did notice that he was very focused in one one thing. It was a rubber toy lizard. Also, looking at my journal, I noticed that the first two days, I too questioned if this was the right medicine, and on the 3rd day is when I got the answer that I was looking for- No, it was not the right medicine. Good Luck, I hope that it does work for him or that you are able to find the right meds. It can be very heartbreaking trying to find the right meds that work, but once you do find it, it is amazing what they can learn without having to face all the obstacles at once.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Thanks again for talking with me! I am so scared! He is such a sweet boy and only 6....I hate the thought of what Im doing to him. But...Im also scared NOT to do anything. He still barely knows his letters and numbers.I decided to try the meds while I am home this summer so that I can watch him. Again I appreciate you thoughts!
    Islandmom05

Comment by Islandmom05 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Your welcome and if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2010