How long do you think one should wait to give a baby rice rusks?

My 5 1/2 month old recently started on rice cereal, which we quickly thickened-up for her. She is just sooo interested in food! So I bought some "Baby mum mums" and just gave her one. She ate half and then I ate half. She really seemed to like it and did well with it. Too soon?? My older daughter didn't have anything besides rice cereal until 6 months, and it was probably another couple months before she had cheerios or puffs or anything. But this one really seems to want to "snack" on something...

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hi,,

I think it's ok to give her that at her age,, I only started my child on solid food when he was almost 6 months and he gave me a hard time accepting it,,, my sister on the other hand started her daughter on solids (rice cereal ) just after 4 months and she was just ok, she even started giving her biscuits to chew on starting from 5 months and she got used to solid food much faster than my son.

Good luck...

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 6:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My DD started eating mum mums at 5 1/2 months too. If you baby can eat them and enjoys them then why not?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Thanks ladies, for the re-assurance!
    sfwilson

Comment by sfwilson (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As soon as they can handle food on a spoon, they can handle baby mum mums...those are THE MILDEST finger food! My son has been eating them since around 6 mo. just fine...he's almost 8 mo. now and still has issues with cheerios, puffs, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• table food fruits and veggies are far easier to digest than rice which can be constipating. Babies can't digest solids very well in the first place and grains are especially difficult. Be sure to always feed breastmilk/formula first before solids so that the baby gets the calories needed and aren't full on solids they'll just pass out undigested. It's not about what's bland its about fun and experience, not nutrition. We know more about baby digestion today than they did before.

Also encourage baby to self feed, spoon feeding purees interferes with their ability to regulate their gag reflex which can make it dfficult for them to learn to manipulate pieces of food because they learn to suck the food off the spoon. My baby is 9 months and has handleed pieces of food since she developed tongue manipulation at 7 1/2 months. Once she had a good pincer grip her digestion got better too (gut maturation)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010