Political parties/games

Given the predominant political make up of the United States, do you think it is reasonable or likely there will be an insurgence of independent representitives in the HoR/Sen?

The hold the Dem/Rep establishment has on our government is certainly long-standing. Few independent candidates have made it past the preliminary stages.

Do you see a third party coming into an actual position of power? If so, who, in what context, and how would this shift benefit the country?

Youngwifey2

Asked by Youngwifey2 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ??? Not prepared to write an essay today :(((( Ask me when school back in session, around the 1st of Sept. :)
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• MDT--today is you lucky day! I am an English teacher in real life--I will allow a paragraph! LOL
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Actually I do see them slowly coming into power, as the (and I mean zero offense) the older generations die off. It seems to me that as our nation changes we find less ability to fit into one pigeon hole or another. The Libertarian Party and the Green Party are two of the most significant parties that I see that demonstrate my point: ultra environmental Liberals that do not find a home inside of the general Democratic party, and the ultra agnostic conservatives (and I am totally overgeneralizing on both sides of the spectrum) that do not find a home in the general Republican party.

Actually, I would also point out our Founding Fathers warned against a two party system, and as we become a more educated population, we see the downfall of this as well.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• P.S. If we were able to get rid of the Electoral College and strictly rely on popular vote, we will be able to support more than a two party system.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nope I don't. Maybe a few but thats it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i hope so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think it would be great! But I don't know what the chances are of it ever happening.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• 1) Electoral college is OUTDATED and needs to go

2) we are RIPE for a 3rd party!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• PS

They just need someone with a NAME that is RESPECTED...

I think COLIN POWELL could get MANY from BOTH sides to vote for him as an INDY

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I would pay very close attention to Powell.
    Youngwifey2

Comment by Youngwifey2 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010