Does anyone out there have a child with lupus? My 4 yr old was recently diagnosed with lupus and I need some answers. Thanks

Eluton

Asked by Eluton at 6:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't know a child with Lupus but my BFF, Alli, was diganosed 2 years ago with Lupus. She is an African American female. She struggles sometimes but, overall, lives a normal, healthy life. Infact, she's due with her first baby in the next few weeks!!!

I know she takes Plaqnil (sp?) daily and, her pregnancy is high risk but- no complications as of yet (and hopefully never!).

Thinking of before she got pregnant... she complained of her joints hurting and, that she was super tired. She told me that there are people will VERY worse Lupus than she has- she said that there are many support groups but, overall- they do not know much about the auto-immue disease... Good Luck too you and your daughter- it might be a bumpy road but, I do believe that she will lead a overall normal life!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Not a child but my sister has Lupus. Most people with Lupus have waxing then waning symptoms over a long period of time. Unfortunately , my sister isn't one of them. She was diagnosed 2 years ago and is already in a wheelchair. She takes heavy duty doses of Methotrexate to reduce the swelling and pain in her joints. This leaves her very susceptable to illness. We are all very careful to wear a mask or not go around her if someone even has the sniffles. I hope you can find a good group to share questions and answers with. My sisters support group is pretty much what keeps her from giving up hope. Good Luck and I will pray your child is blessed with the best scenario possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• thank you both so much! i am praying that new discoveries will come out soon to alleviate the horrible symptoms of lupus. and i have heard there is hope on the horizon about a couple new medicines. thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
    evan
    Eluton

Comment by Eluton (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010