Britain government is going to have a fatty food tax?

Burgers, fries and pizza
Good idea or not
Fat Tax
Should fast food be taxed?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The government has no business taxing more and more stuff just because they think it's right. How is making something cost a little more going to stop someone from buying something they want if it's only a few cents more? I don't think it's about stopping people. It's all about seeing how much money they can squeeze out of people in so many different ways. It all adds up and no matter if you don't eat fatty foods, they will be looking into new ways they can tax others things because that is what the government in general does. It's wrong.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Won't matter. Some will still buy it and others will still get fat without buying it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Since so many people feel helpless against the pull of the fast food drive-thru window, and insist that our government create more rules and regulations, why not?! LOL I say fatty foods should be taxed like cigarettes and alcohol--and added to the "sin tax" list. Maybe if it's more of a "luxury" item, less people will buy the junk, the establishments will be forced to change their menus to healthier alternatives, or close all together.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No way, I don't care if Michele Obama says dessert isn't a right. It isn't right for the government to tax me for anything I might want to do or eat. I can't trust what they do with my money as it is.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• BAD idea. My state taxes you at any restaurant where you eat on the premises. That is fine. More than that, NO! I am so sick of the government trying to tell me what I can/can't do eat drink etc. I thought that at 18 I was an adult. If this has changed, if I am NOT an adult anymore, than I would like to know that. But as long as I am an adult, I have the freedom to make my own choices. And if I want a greasy cheese-laden pizza once in a while, or a cheeseburger, then I WILL have it, regardless of what Ms Move It says.

Man, it must be nice to be able to be a mom to what, 300 million something kids?? Maybe it's time for a ferocious-forties tantrum, lolol!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet. It will probably not make much of a difference though. Look at how expensive beer & cigarettes are & who are buying them. I used to be a cashier & the majority of those wasting what little money they had on the purchase of beer & cigarettes are those on welfare. They bought their groceries with food stamps, then spent as much as $200.00 cash on beer & cigarettes. I'm sure those who can't afford to eat junk food will continue to do so at any cost also.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• LOL...yeah my dh was going to quit smoking when cigarettes were $3 a pack...They are now $5 and he STILL smokes! Like others have said this will not change a thing.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• More governement telling me what I should and shouldn't do. It's ridiculous. I'm a grown adult, I don't need a nanny punishing me when I do something "bad".
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm more for consumption taxes than income tax increases. But I don't think taxing junk food is going to fix the obesity rate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• You do pay tax on fast food in PA. It is a prepared food item, so it is taxed at the state rate of 6%
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010