Why is it OK for her to talk about God but not for me to say he doesn't exist?

In front of my son she is always talking about God but she flips out if I say something about him not existing in front of her kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my opinion it's the exact same thing. I see exactly where you're coming from. I find that a lot of religious people don't think that it's inappropriate for them to preach their beliefs to other people but will get offended if the opposite is preached back to them.

I would say to her "It's clear we have different beliefs and that's fine, but if you don't want me to tell your children that God doesn't exist then please stop telling mine that he does."

If she wants you to respect her religion and her beliefs then she has to respect yours too. Just because she believes in God, it doesn't make her "right".
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Because she's a hypocrite.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry, but the only people who should get to decide what a young child is exposed to religiously are the parents... I surely wouldn't allow anyone to teach my son anything which went against my beliefs or try to stop me from teaching my own. However, that respect should go both ways... If you want her to respect your beliefs, then you should respect hers and not spout your beliefs to her children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think the point is, this other woman was talking about God all the time around an atheist's child knowing full well that their mother doesn't believe. But the moment the atheist returns the favor, the God-believing woman throws a shit fit about it. Therein lies the hypocrisy. I don't think this is about two wrongs. It's about mutual respect, in which your friend, OP, has none. You should point out the hypocrisy to her. Hopefully from there you'll be able to either discuss religion calmly or restrict it from the conversation altogether.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Because equal rights are for everyone as long as you're Christian.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Its not okay for her to talk about God to your kids and you not talk about you beliefs in front of hers

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• She should not be discussing "Her" beliefs to your child(ren) without your permission. And she needs to understand this and you are the one who needs to explain this to her...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Plain old disrespect.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Start telling her to stop and make sure she knows you mean it. She's being rude.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Bbecause its god....us christians need to spread the word to non belivers

Dear TexasPride85's husband who uses her acct to troll the answers section even though it's against the TOS:
    Your "need" ends where everyone else's rights begin, and that includes the rights of defenseless children who you have no business proselytizing to. I guarantee you anyone attempting to convert my child would be met with some Texas justice before they had a chance to try it a 2nd time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010