what do you think about people like this?

I often find myself having a conversation with someone that will tell me all about whats going on in their lives.. i hear them and listen but when i go to share a story with whatever topic they are speaking about they seem to be sidetracked and caught off guard..even changing the subject to something else they've done. (This is in my real life..not here on cafemom) Is this some type of mental illness or something or are they just all about themselves? Anyone else know people like this and what do you think of them?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, that is just the way they are
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 6:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yep, I know SEVERAL people like that- just*smile* *nod* and *ignore*
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I know plenty of self absorbed people. It's frustrating for sure.
    I don't think it's a mental illness at all. Some people just can't see past themselves.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i'v heard that 80% of the time people dont listen and only worry about what they will say next. i think that's about right, sadly.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think that that is just the way they are. I hvae known people like this... I just listen, and don't say anything. I just agree and disagree when necessary.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's called selfishness and unfortunately we'll always have to deal with it.

It is crazy though how people are. I was hanging out with a few friends the other day and one was in the middle of this serious story and the other friend started texting and then interrupts to ask what time a store closed. It was awkward and weird to watch someone make such a blatant display of how selfish they are.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 6:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• These people are self centered, selfish and think the world onle revolves only around them and there problems, those kind of people can't be trusted cuz somewhere down the road they will screw you cuz there only concern about them self and how they can make there life better even if they have to take you down, I have and had a couple of friends like that and it's never good news.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• For some people it's all about them. They don't want to hear what you have to say, so they change the subject. But sometimes, and you may or may not do this, you are the person who's annoying and ALWAYS has a story to tell that takes forever, who will interrupt to get your point in. There are times a person just wants someone to listen to them and not have another telling their story.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Yes. I just hate it that when I try to say something when they're done talking, they just jump in and talk right over me. It's irritating.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Shay1130! You've met my sister!! I didn't know that!! LOL!!

Seriously, I think that there are a lot of people out there who are really only comfortable talking about themselves. These are the people that I dread seeing or talking too. I try not to have too many of them in my life. I only have the ones who are absolutly necessary (like my sis).
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010