How to get a 14 month old to STOP screaming?

I love my son deeply but how do you get him to stop screaming, we have tried everything we could think of to get him to stop, this is our first child, so did any of you have to deal with this, how did you get him to stop, it seems like there is no reason for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Haha when you find out let e know! I have the same problem with my 19 month old :) GL hun!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Is he cutting a tooth? Look in his mouth, he may be breaking in a molar or maybe he has an earache? Is it possible that he is overtired?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• *hugs* depends on what he's screaming for. I've dealt with tempertantrum screaming, angry screaming back, and overwhelmed screaming. They all are hard and are handled differently. Though, in common: keep your voice low, soft, and slow, don't make fast movements, turn down the lights if you can, touch him gently (holding his hand, putting your hand on his back) if he pushes you away keep trying. He needs you to help him soothe himself. Practice blowing out a pretend candle when he's not screaming and when he gets upset ask him to blow out the candle, it gets him to take a deep breath and re focus. Don't get angry or yell back, it will scare him. he's not doing it to drive you crazy and he doesn't need to be alone. He needs your help. You may have to take turns with your SO if you feel yourself getting angry, it's ok.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• its a phase. my 15 month old went thru it and many of the toddlers of moms in my groups had the same thing. ignore it all you can and when he sees no one thinks it fun, he will stop. hang in there hun, its a pain I know. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son screams in stores when we are out. Not like a temper but jsut because like really loud yelling as loud as he possibly can. The hushed voice doesnt work for me and he is 23 months old. I try and bribe him with toys,etc but sometimes nothing helps..just depends on what he is screaming for.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son did that at about the same age. I thought my ear drums would rupture - he would do it in the car! Unfortunately, ignoring your little one may work, if they are just screaming to scream. It'll get worse before it gets better... good luck, it'll pass!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010