Discovered...

My three year old has discovered his anus... Help me tell him that it is inappropriate to play with himself in front of mom, dad, and guests!!!

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 6:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Isn't that fun? Not! Be consistent and not angry or judgemental when you talk to him. Just keep reminding him that it's not appropriate to play with private parts infront of others. Let him know that it can also make him sick if he doesn't wash his hands after he touches himself in his private areas. Let him have time to explore his body in the bath tub so that he can stay clean and have a time and place to explore. The bigger of a reaction you give him infront of others the more likely he'll do it. So always stay calm, talk softly, move slowly, and redirect. Find something to keep his hands busy. My son loves to carry around dinosaurs and match box cars. Good luck! This too shall pass.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Tell him we call what our swimsuits cover private and private means no one sees it or touches it except mom dad or dr.Id also get him some everybody poops book or something to take the novelty out of it. Also tell him he needs to go in his room if he needs to touch himself but that nothing should be inserted there or he could really hurt himself.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• is he playing with it or scratching?? I've read about pinworms that lay eggs around the anus and can cause horrible itching- also if he has any leakage- my nephew has this problem because his mom constantly gives him juice! That;s all the kids drinks and he has diarrhea 4 times a day!! Lots of irritation there! :( Also if he has hard bms, he could have a small hemmorrhoid that could be bothersome. To check for pinworms though, do it when he's asleep in a dark room- undress his bottom half and shine a flashlight on his anus- if its pinworms, you;ll see them go back in- sounds horrid, but its easy to treat according to this healthwise handbook that I have, but a pediatrician can better guide you. Good luck! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 4:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• He is playing with it. LMAO, no itch, no worms, no diarrhea... Just playing with it. Thank you all for the advice!
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010