HomeSchooling Moms:

How did you start to teach letters? What did you do to make it fun and interesting?

Cassarah

Asked by Cassarah at 6:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I taught letters form the very first day they were born. I just pointed them out whenever, and where ever we saw them. I had flash cards we would go thru when they were cooperative, and there are plenty of books about letters. My kids knew all their letters by the age of 2. If you just start pointing them out, with out trying to "teach" them, your child will pick it up.

There are lots of good resources out there for you too. LeapFrog The Letter Factory DVD is awesome. My kids already knew all their letters, but this DVD taught them all the sounds each letter make. They would ask for me to play it again and again. Also The Word Factory had my kids spelling CVC words by age 3. Also, starfall.com is a great website. My youngest had speech problems, and we would use starfall.com a lot to help him learn how to make the letter sounds. And letteroftheweek.com is a free curriculum you can use to help teach your kids.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We used felt letters, play dough to shape letters, & we also used magazines to find letters then we cut them out & made posters of each letter with some pictures of things that begin with those letters. The possibilities really are endless.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When my son was 6 months old I started reading Dr Suess's ABC book, then as he got older, we got more books, and flash cards!!! The flash cards were the key! We sang the abc song while pottying, washing hands, brushing teeth, even before he could sing it, my husband and I would, one day he pointed out a letter on a sign and we knew he was picking it up. We just upped the ante a bit and that's when we got the flash cards. at 3 he could identify all the letters, and write almost all, by 3 and a half, he could write his name perfectly! :) His Kindergarten screening this summer, he scored with finishing first graders!!! :) I swear by flash cards though and the Dr Suess book! Lol
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 3:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2010