How do you keep calm with your LO? I need help. :(

My 1 1/2 year old has fits all the time. He will hit and scream at the top of his lungs. He stomps his feet pushes throws things and spits. I get so upset and frusterated. I caught my self yelling a couple times "be quiet". I'm so ashamed I yelled at a baby and after I feel so so bad. How do I keep calm with him? I try everything to calm him make sure he isn't hungry thirsty and has a dry diaper. Nothing helps :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have three! So I KNOW where you are coming from.

It is either a laugh or cry situation, so I laugh. Not where they can see it of course because that will just fuel the flames. But you have to remember, when they grow up you will miss this stage. No matter how awful it gets, you will miss those days at some point.

Big hugs and just remember to BREATH!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• it happens to the best of us. the same happened to me and i felt like such a bitch afterwards i left the room and cried. my son used to and still can occasionally have a bit of a tantrum(he is 3) and what i do is just say to him i will speak to u when u have calmed down and he looks at me as if to say-damn this doesnt work anymore and he gets over it and goes and plays. sometimes they do it cause they get frustrated and cant explain how they feel or what they want.
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When it gets too bad..give yourself a minute. It won't hurt him to cry for a few. Walk out of the room..walk out onto the porch for a minute..whatever you need to do to calm yourself. When you go back in, scoop him up in your arms and talk softly to him,rub his back, turn on some soft music. Forget about whatever else needs to be done in the house for a good 10 -15 minutes and just put all your attention and focus on him.
    Good luck..I know its not easy at times. Hang in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• is he able to communicate what he wants? try asking him whats wrong. is this happening after anything? taking away something? analyze the situation. you get through to him and him to you. you'll survive i promise.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I taught my son to take deep breaths when he's feeling angry and frustrated. It took a while of practicing with him but now he does it by himself when he's feeling upset.

It's also good to do yourself to help calm you down so you don't lose your cool. Sometimes I get frustrated and my 3.5 year old son will say "Mommy, remember to take deep breaths."
    I do and it helps me calm down. When he sees me doing it, it's good because he's learning that it does help.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Make sure he is getting enough positive attention and praise...........and one on one time with hubby too. Plus lots of hugs and kisses.
    Anonymous

• I FEEL your pain! My daughter can be so rotten. She wants what she wants, when she wants it...............not okay with me.

It happens to all of us..........I also lose my patience. When she is really bad, I just put her in her crib and leave for 5 minutes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010