Pagan Moms:

At what age do you start letting your children help with ritual work? And what do you let them help you with?

Cassarah

Asked by Cassarah at 7:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not. I'm not raising my children to be Pagan. Because my DH is Christian we are going to allow our children to choose their own path in life. When and IF they show an interest in my path, I will gladly answer their questions and show them what they want to learn. But as children, I will not teach them anything until they are ready and asking.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My boys are 4 and 5 and i have been asking them if they want to help me sense about a year ago. Sometimes they want to, and other times they don't. Whatever they choose is fine by me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am not... bc my dh is Christian I am teaching the "Beliefs" of both religions to our 9 yr old...
    IF he becomes more interested in mine, then I will start teaching him the basics of what I believe in and allow him to read
    from my library of books...Any questions he has or will ask have been or will be answered from both points of view and he
    will be allowed to choose which he feels more comfortable in accepting for himself...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My daughter and the daughters of my old coven allowed children in some circles at 13. I mostly feel when she is an adult she can decide. She has had the options of making candles , soaps, and teas since 13 also. She has read books, but the choice will be up to her. She has also gone to synagogue with her father family, and church with my parents.
    DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 12:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I let my children participate whenever they ask, but not before age 5. I want them to understand at least somewhat, what we're doing.
    As for what they can do, I let them help gather what we need, set up, put away, and if we make offerings that time, they can help with that, too. My kids are 15 and 5.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As far as in depth rituals go, I'd prefer her to be around 4 or 5, but if it's just a candle (out of her reach obviously) or a simple circle, she can join in now if she feels like it, not that I think she would really understand what's going on because she's only 1.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 7:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Probably not til my oldest is 10ish.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Whenever the child starts to show an interest. My nephew loved helping to feed the fae and other small tasks like placing objects on the alter when he was 2 1/2 when he would do things we would tell him what he was doing/holding and what it means. He is 6 now and has a firm grasp on many of these concepts because we reinforced them when he wanted to help when he was very little.
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 10:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My DD is 2 1/2 and her grandma and I are going to have a circle next time we go down. It is in her blood really. All throughout her fathers side from his mothers side has been pagan. In fact todayshe decided to go outside when it had just started to rain like not too hard. She was in her undies(we are very secluded by woods I like in the middle of nowhere) and did a rain dance. When I tried to get her in she insisted she wasn't done, continued to dance. After about 2 mons she said Ok I'm done. And we came in and dried off. LOL
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When I feel they are ready? I'm still learning (not new to the path so much as still trying to find THE one for me, so I'm still in the study phase) My girls are 3yr and 1yr, I'm hopping by they time they are really asking questions I will have my answers. I'm not going to be teaching them just my path tho, I too have a Christian husband so they will be learning both.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 7:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2010