Cat's declawing costs $250.oo, anyone know how I can it for cheaper?

All the local vets cost around $250.oo in FL. How can I get this done for cheaper? I have two cats!
PS. The local shelters do NOT provide declawing.

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 7:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pets

• ...Maybe just don't declaw your cats and get a scratching post or claw covers?

sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 7:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I really don't know unless you could find a groomer or someone else to do it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Find vets offices that hire vet interns and they will do it for free, for the experience.

Answer by older at 7:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Please don't declaw your cats.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• gee i think you might be hard pressed to get it cheaper since they need general anesthesia and meds. alot of vets won't even do it, but i think i paid a little bit more than that for mine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Since they are cutting off the first digit of the cat's "finger", I would not try to bargain hunt for a better price. But spend the money on the laser surgery.

Groomers WILL NOT de-claw. Only a licensed Veterinarian can do that. Like another poster said, check out a teaching hospital, they might be able to work something out with you. Or else just don't de-claw them.
    NikkiPhoenix

Answer by NikkiPhoenix at 7:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's very cruel.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• A few thoughts here......

1) for declawing to be done right, appropriate anesthesia and methods should be used. Lowest price usually equals a bad job with nail trimmers or something. Not good. It's very invasive and bloody and requires a lot of bandaging material.

2) it is a very invasive procedure. You are removing the last digit. You are also removing all defenses.

3) if your cats really do scratch too much, you can get plastic covers for their nails + nail trims.

Many vets won't even do the procedure anymore. The price you mentioned is well in line with good anesthesia and aftercare. If the cats are over 14-16 weeks it's usually more expensive as they require suturing. Remember, this is AMPUTATION of all 20 digits.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 7:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree, there are other alternatives to declawing. It is really very cruel.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• As a side note, I worked in veterinary medicine for nearly 10 years. i've seen declawing done right...I've seen it done poorly. This is not something I would price shop.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 8:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010