Suggestions on our next carseat? Convertible?

Okay, we outgrowing our current Chicco carseat (the bucket kind), and I hear the convertible type is the way to go--that it should last far into the child's car seat years. I read some reviews at BabiesRUs and also some insights from Moms here, and Graco MyRide 65 seems to be a solid one. I also like Graco Nautilus Elite 3-and-1. Can those of you who have had experience tell me your opinions, what to look for, etc? Thanks so much.

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went with a Radian 85 by Sunshine kids. They are solid and weigh about 30 lbs and have a metal rod for impact support that runs along each side as well as up the back of the seat. They exceed American and European standards (higher than American standards). I love this seat and so does my DD.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i have ti my rides. both my 3 1.2 and 17 mth old are still rearfacing
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Don't get a Nautilus, as they are FF only seats. The MyRide is a good seat, I agree, and also have a TrueFit which I'd recommend. I do have a Nautilus, 2 actually, for DD, and they're good as FFseats when that time comes, but for your childs age/size, all safety/ERF stuff aside, it's not legal to FF her yet. Of course ERF IS a good option to choose too, but that's up to you. I'd recommend it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We use the Cosco Scenera and wouldn't have anything else. Available at Walmart, Target, online, and in a multitude of colors. It's also not pricey and runs about $50.00. http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseatreviews/fr/cosco_scenera_car_seat_review.htm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563?findingMethod=rr Comes in blue, black, pink, green, .... just google it and you'll see the fabrics. Good luck! :)

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We had a Britax with the 1st 2 kids (2nd was so small she fit in an infant carrier until 18 months) We liked it so much that 5 yrs later when our 3rd was born we got another one. He is 5 now and we just moved him into a high back booster.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have the Britax Marathon and love it! If I had it to do over again I might have gone with the Radian 85 by Sunshine kids.

Of those two you picked I would suggest the Graco MyRide 65, because it can stay rear facing up to 40 lbs and the newest recommendations are to keep baby rear facing until at least 2 yrs old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I love my nautilus but as others have said it is forward facing only
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The nautilus is forward facing only. They now recommend kids stay rear facing until atleast 2 and 30lbs. Thay are trying to make that the new law actually.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I should have mentioned i know about keeping him rear facing for a very long time, but I did not know the Nautilus was not rear facing, so that's clearly something I missed in my research! Thank you. Thanks for all the info and recommendations. Britax and Radian also did come up from others, so I'll look into those and with a few others mentioned so far...thanks!
    JRB101009

Comment by JRB101009 (original poster) at 7:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• The Nautilus is advertised as a 3 in 1 seat, because it FF harnesses, High back boosters, and then backless boosters. It's not what most people think of when they hear 3 in 1.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2010