A question about marriage for athiests and non-atheists...

First, yeah I know I spelled one of them wrong. :-)
If you believe in God, could/would you be able to marry someone who doesn't? And, if you're atheist, could/would you be able to marry someone who does? I'm not talking casual beliefs, but the more hardcore beliefs and going to church every week and all that. This is not meant to offend anyone and I do apologize if my wording is offensive.
To answer my own question, I'm athiest and don't think I could have. I have christian friends and love them to death but I don't think I could live and spend my life with someone whose beliefs would be so far from my own.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not an Atheist... But I did marry someone of different beliefs. He's not hard core though, if he was, no, we wouldn't ever have worked out or have gotten married. I'm a Pagan Witch and don't think a hard core Christian would be okay with that... But I could easily marry an Atheist, why not? As long as they respect my beliefs I see no reason why a difference in beliefs have to cause an issue in a relationship.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't think I could commit to spend my life with someone who didn't have common beliefs, or was at least open to my beliefs so that we might grow together in the same direction... but if they were adamant and had opposite beliefs than mine then no I couldn't/wouldn't marry them, or even get involved in the first place. It's kind of a pre-requisite... lol.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm a non believer and I couldnt be with someone that was hardcore into church. My religious friends often invite me to church and thats fine but they know not to expect me there often.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i know a woman who was a "born again Christian" and her husband was not. she was just constantly praying he would be converted. i would not want to marry someone who i believed was destined to go to hell and i would not want to marry someone if i believed he was destined to go to hell, kwim?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No. I wouldn't have married someone with radically different beliefs.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would not have been able to marry someone who didn't believe in God at all. I think I would have been willing to marry someone of a different religion at the time (20 years ago). I had a boyfriend before my husband, and toward the end of our relationship I was sure I was pregnant, but couldn't afford a home pregnancy test. He absolutely insisted that I had to abort. I told him that I had already thought it through, and I wasn't going to do that because I believe it is a serious sin. That's when he said that he doesn't believe in God at all, and he thinks we are just a collection of organic material. It was really him insisting that I must have an abortion that drove the last nail in the coffin, but I knew that day that we were not on the same page.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't think so. God is important enough to me that I want to be able to share Him with my husband.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am a strong Christian and I am married to an unbeliever. We are fine with our beliefs, he doesnt push his on me and I dont push mine on him.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 9:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• In short. No.
    We never would have been able to connect on a level which would have lead to a long term relationship if he had been "hard core".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I honestly don't know.  I've never had a relationship in which religion was a factor and I've been married the last 22 years to man who is also a lifelong atheist raised without religion. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010