Any good ideas for getting the dogs to actually use the bathroom outside instead of in the house?

I let them out, they come right in and mess in the floor. I'm getting tired of cleaning the carpet once a week. I'm thisclose to just putting them outside for good, but then I'll feel bad b/c they're my "inside dogs"... kwim? Any advice is welcome!

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pets

• I know that crate training works, but I could not bear to see my husky in there looking at me with those sad eyes. I trained her and my Bishon by taking them out every 30 minutes until they went. Once they went i rewarded my husky with home made jerky I made in my oven, she was trained in less than 2 days. My small dog I trained much the same way, she loved fish so I dried out pollack in the oven and made her fish treats. She needed me to clap and get excited whey she went as well as a reward. It took me about a 2 weeks to train her. The only issue with the small dog now is, that she demands I still go out with her and praise her. She will bark at me until I go with her.The homemade treats were a huge hit. Its not that hard to do and they love them so much more than store bought treats. I soak the meat in soy sauce for a bit before I dry it out. The fish I would soak in lemon juice and cut super thin. keep in fridge
    thefunkybean

Answer by thefunkybean at 4:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Crate training is not cruel when used appropriately as a training method and not a permanent living arrangement. It's also beneficial to crate train so that if the pet becomes ill and has to be hospitalized or contained due to injury, they are comfortable with being crated. My dog's crate was used as a learning tool and to keep him safe from himself when he could not be supervised as a pup. At 7 YO now, his crate is still up and he likes to go sleep in it at times though I haven't "crated" him in years.

Regarding the free feeding..if it works for you, great. But for most dogs, it leads to obesity. Further, having food available all the time makes it difficult to get on a good poop schedule. And last but not least, going off food is one of the first symptoms most owners will see that indicate a serious health problem like an obstruction or pancreatitis. With free feeding it's more challenging to notice.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 10:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Crate training and a schedule.

They need to go out about 10 min after their meal (twice per day, not free fed)

They need to go out first thing out of the crate and before.

They crave a routine. You have to make one.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 8:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Take them out to go to the bathroom and stand out there with them. Make sure they go. If they do praise them like crazy. If they do not go bring them in and put them in a crate. After an hour take them out again. Repeat until they do potty outside. When they go potty they can come in and be out of the crate for an hour or so and then take them out again....repeat, repeat, repeat. I foster and this is how I housebreak every new dog I get. It usually takes about a week with older dogs and a little longer with puppies. Consistancy is KEY. If you are not consistant it will not work.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Aside from what the others have said, you also need to get rid of the pee/poop smell where they've been going in the house. I'm sure you do clean it, but even if you can't smell it, they can. You need to use one of the enzyme cleaners like Nature's Miracle.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Maybe they aren't associating the outside with the bathroom. Are they outside a lot? I would say to set a timer when they are in the house, until they can grasp the concept. Take them out only to use the bathroom and then bring them back in.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Carajust- Hit it right on!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with crating and scheduling their feeding. I also agree that you need to be outside with them to praise them when they go. Since they are coming back inside and doing their business, they probably aren't doing it outside. Once they are consistent with going with you out there, you can start letting them out w/out you.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I don't believe in crate training. I think it is cruel to lock pets up in crates when you are home with them. They always have food too.

You need to talk to them. Use consistent phrases like "Go potty" " Go outside?" When you catch them peeing inside say, "no no go outside" take them out immediately. Clean up when you come back in. When the go potty outside, give them lots of praise.

Housebreaking a dog is like potty training a child.

You don't say if they are puppies. If you have had them & they are housebroken but recently started on the carpets, they may be trying to tell you something. Maybe they need more attention from you. Dogs are like children except they don't throw tantrums, they pee on the floor or personal things (your shoes) when they are mad.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2010