Does race play a role in body image?

I'm reading yet another weight loss book. I have struggled with my weight since I can remember so when I saw this book today I was really intigued. The author stated that women of color tend to put less emphasis on size than white women do. She didn't ask me about that when she did her survey because I am a woman of color and I am always concerned with size. How do you moms out there feel about this?

ledesa

Asked by ledesa at 8:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I can say that when I was a store manager for Lane Bryant my customers of color generally were less apologetic about their size and had higher self esteem. Size didn't seem to define who they were as much as white women.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I do think that race plays a role in body image. This is my opinin on it, black women in particular dont necessarily see skinny as the size they want to be. Just look at music videos and black magazines, we see women with big butts and wide hips. Alot of black women want to be "thick". Personally that size is not for me but I wouldnt mind a little extra weight. White women, and again this is my opinion tend to want to be skinny, they idolize the celebrities they see on tv/movies, most of them are super skinny.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think it probably has more to do with culture than with race.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• BS BS BS got outside your houses and step into the real world everywhere you go you're going to see people different sizes and shape there is big ass white/black women and there is skinny ass white/black women.........so that means some wanna be big and small if you big/small you wanna be that way because there is ways to get big/small come on now stop pointing fingers
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 8:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I am working out to be a size ten that is the healthy size for me and the size I want to be will I be thin no but its all good to me I am biracial my mom would starve me for days if someone told her I looked fat. So now a size ten is my gift to myself,
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think white women are more likely to obsess over being thin. In black culture, being plump isn't necessarily a bad thing. White females are more likely to develop eating disorders, and that's a fact that can't be denied, not a stereotype.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010