has anyone had their tubes tied? is a garanteed form of protection?

we are expecting our third and final child. SO and i decided 3 is perfect for us. soooo i want my tubes tied when little one number 3 arrives. how is this procedure done? is it safe? waht are your experiences?

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 8:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• your doctor would have the most info, but my doctor has told me that they do them about 8 weeks after delivery, microsopically(SP?) it takes about 20 mins and can be done right in the doctors office. It has a .4% chance of not working. If you have a csection then they will just tie them while they are already in there and its about a 4% chance of not working.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had my tubes tied last year, it was done 3 years after I had my daughter. I didn't like having to go under and after I was in tons of pain but I'd say it was worth it cause 2 kids is enough for me.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had mine done 3 months after the birth of my daughter (# 3 for us too). Anyway, they couldn't do it when I had her because she was born vaginally and they said my uterus needed to "shrink" before the surgery could be done. When it was done I went in as an out patient and they did it through a little incision in my belly button. They used a laser and burned and cauterized them it's 99.9% effective. If they only tie them it's not as effective. The recovery was pretty simple.....no heavy lifting, no vacuuming, things like that for about a week. I had some mild cramps and a little bit of discomfort after but nothing major. When the anesthesiologist was getting ready to knock me out my doctor asked if I was sure.....I said yeah and he replied that my DH should be the one on the table. He said that it's a lot simpler for him to get it done and recovery is a lot faster. Just something to think about!

Good luck
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Mine was done 4 yrs. after our last child.
    Also microscopically and as an out-patient.
    Recovery is minimum and fast.
    And according to Wikipedia it has a 1.85% risk of failure.

And I haven't regretted it :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• well as far as i know every dr sometimes do the procedures differently :) but i have a sister that had her tubes tied after she had # 3 and 5 mos ago she found out she was pregnant again the bad and sad part is that her baby stayed in one of her tubes never traveled down :(
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 8:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Nothing but a hysterectomy or not having sex is 100%. My friends mom got pregnant 16 years after having her tubes tied.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I heard of people getting pregnant
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Research PTLS (post tubal ligation syndrome). Many women have this issue. Also many get pregnant 10 years down the road because it can self reverse like a vasectomy and you would never know. This is why I had Essure done. There were NO pregnancies in the clinical trials and if it does self reverse you will know because there will be a coil in your undies.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2010