Need advice on what to do so it won't happen again.

I brought my kids to the pool for the second time. There is a floating barrier in between shallow n deeper end. Whenever I would go to the deeper side, lifeguard always blows the whistle on me! Then I'm questioned as to how old I am. I'm 35 and 5'6" tall. The first time was ok but the 2nd time it's getting annoying. I was even approached by the other swimmers asking re taking swimming test first????? Told her my age and her face has shock written all over then proceeded to tell all of her friends. I understand that the lifeguards are merely trying to be careful but how do I prevent this from happening again? Just want to swim in peace with my kids. :(

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Can kids go in the deep end? Can you swim well?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• wierd. my kids can go to the deep end at the public pool here. do you really look that young?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• That's my point. It's embarassing coz the whistle is so loud. People would look at you! Yeah. I can swim laps, different strokes n such. It's the moment that you cross the floating line, your immediately questioned. This prompted these group of teenagers to look at me most of the time! Should I inform the lifeguard first everytime I go to the other side just to prevent this from happening again? I just feel like I don't have to, you know? I usually feel peaceful n calm after a swim but now I dread going there again. I do love the facility. New, very clean n aesthetically pleasing + convenient for us to go to.
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Maybe you could talk to the management of the pool and find out how to keep it from happening. It sounds to me like the lifeguards are being too cautious. Management wouldn't like the thought of losing a customer because of over aggressive lifeguards.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Was it the same lifeguard? I'd probably snap off on one of these lifeguards & that'd be the end of it. When they blow the whistle @ you yell back, I'm old enough to be your mother! Don't blow that thing @ me!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• nyx7 that's freaking funny! yeah it was the same life guard! She is crazy cautious and would make people swim laps for her before she let them swim there. I found it to be really weird. I refuse to even be subjected to a test first, that's just insane! Seems to me that we are the same age so I can't yell to her that I'm old enough to be her mother. I do look young but not that young! She also seem to be a nice person but just way too cautious. I don't want to complain to the management about this since she might get into trouble. She seems to be doing her job with so much gusto! She is very aggressive and high strung! Seems like she gulps down 10 liters of coffee daily!
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• ok, I thought it was a different person....since it was the same lifeguard I would talk to her about it. You can just go up to her and say, privately, that you are wondering why she keeps blowing the whistle at you. If it happens after you have a conversation with her then I would go to the management and tell them that you come with your children and you've already talked to the lifeguard and told her your age and she's still blowing the whistle at you. Then tell them that you would like to know what should be done and you could tell them that you don't want the lady to get fired or anything just that you want to know what to do so you can enjoy the time with your children.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 12:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2010