Is cramping and severe bloating normal in early pregnancy?

I am almost 5 weeks pregnant, and have been experiencing light cramping and gas on and off for about a week. However, today, I had an entire morning and afternoon of such severe bloating and stomache ache, it felt like I was going to burst open! It also felt like I was cramping along with it - and they were a bit stronger. I couldn't really walk, I felt like I was going to throw up. . .so i took some tylonol, and that alieviated my symptoms.

My question is, is that normal? Should I have that much pressure in my stomache/abdomen? It freaked me out for sure!

Asked by marvelousthings at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This can be normal. I am now 22 weeks pregnant and this is my third pregnancy. They are all very different. However, this one was pretty scary in the beginning because I cramped off and on quite a bit. Usually cramping is associated with stretching. Is this your first pregnancy? If so then most likely that is caused from your uterus/body stretching.
    As far as the bloating goes, that can be normal with or without pregnancy. Once you become pregnant everything you eat affects you differently. I would say that everything is okay but if it doesn't calm down then I would definately contact a doctor.

Answer by hsmominky at 9:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• when i was preg with my son i had sharp pains it hurt so bad i couldent breath, i went to the dr and they said it was just gas, but every pregnancy is dif i would go to the dr to make sure

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• This is actually my third pregnancy! My previous pregnancies ended in miscarriages before the 8 week mark. =(

Comment by marvelousthings (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• LOL...I feel like that often and I'm not even pregnant. In fact,I went through menopause ten years ago.
    But, seriously, I hope it all goes well for you this time.
    I did have bloating when I was pregnant,too.But,no cramping.
    Good luck....

Answer by gertie41 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Both of my pregnancies were like that, but they ended in miscarriage around six weeks.

Answer by Quatrekins at 1:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Stop eating salt all together that helped me with the bloating. Try walking for the cramps if it keeps going on go to the doctor.

Answer by hellokittyfan at 10:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2010