Is cramping and severe bloating normal in early pregnancy?

I am almost 5 weeks pregnant, and have been experiencing light cramping and gas on and off for about a week. However, today, I had an entire morning and afternoon of such severe bloating and stomache ache, it felt like I was going to burst open! It also felt like I was cramping along with it - and they were a bit stronger. I couldn't really walk, I felt like I was going to throw up. . .so i took some tylonol, and that alieviated my symptoms.

My question is, is that normal? Should I have that much pressure in my stomache/abdomen? It freaked me out for sure!

marvelousthings

Asked by marvelousthings at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This can be normal. I am now 22 weeks pregnant and this is my third pregnancy. They are all very different. However, this one was pretty scary in the beginning because I cramped off and on quite a bit. Usually cramping is associated with stretching. Is this your first pregnancy? If so then most likely that is caused from your uterus/body stretching.
    As far as the bloating goes, that can be normal with or without pregnancy. Once you become pregnant everything you eat affects you differently. I would say that everything is okay but if it doesn't calm down then I would definately contact a doctor.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• when i was preg with my son i had sharp pains it hurt so bad i couldent breath, i went to the dr and they said it was just gas, but every pregnancy is dif i would go to the dr to make sure
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• This is actually my third pregnancy! My previous pregnancies ended in miscarriages before the 8 week mark. =(
    marvelousthings

Comment by marvelousthings (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• LOL...I feel like that often and I'm not even pregnant. In fact,I went through menopause ten years ago.
    But, seriously, I hope it all goes well for you this time.
    I did have bloating when I was pregnant,too.But,no cramping.
    Good luck....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Both of my pregnancies were like that, but they ended in miscarriage around six weeks.
    Quatrekins

Answer by Quatrekins at 1:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Stop eating salt all together that helped me with the bloating. Try walking for the cramps if it keeps going on go to the doctor.
    hellokittyfan

Answer by hellokittyfan at 10:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2010