Daughter has weird earring problem....

I got my daughters ear pierced when she was 3 months old. She has never had so much as an issue with them until recently, and she is 3 years old. The ears where the earrings touch get crusty, red, and bleed. I tried hypoallergenic and nickel free and both still had problems. I have used hydrogen peroxide and an antibiotic cream to help. I even shelled out $25 for 1 pair of medical plastic earrings and still we have this problem. Anyone have any suggestions or ever had this problem? She loves her earrings.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Health

• try real gold or silver.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I was told not to shell out that kind of money cuz if plastic wont help it nothing will.
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i cant wear plastic. sergical steel is one i can wear.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Medical grade Titanium is the lest likely to upset it.

Whatever you do, avoid peroxide & rubbing alcohol (dries it out and makes it worse). Clean it with saline or clean, warm water (avoid soap- it dries it out as well), use an antiseptic prep, or antibiotic cream. Do this at least once every day.

If she touches, plays with, twists, twirls, etc. her earrings, they will become irritated, and result in an abrasion like the one you are describing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• *least
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have the same problem. i can only wear real gold (not gold plated) or silver. I don't wear much jewelry because of this issue. I only have a couple pairs of earrings (I don't wear them everyday) and my wedding which is white gold and a sapphire ring in a yellow gold setting.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I only have a problem when I dont wear at least 18 kt gold earrings... dont know what else to suggest sounds like you have tried alot. Maybe try cleaning them on a daily basis with dial soap, peroxide can sometimes hold an infection in the hole.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I have the same issues with mine. It from the damage done to the tissue during the piercing. I'll bet money they used a gun to do them, right? Try Real Gold, anything else can cause extra irritation. Plastic is full of toxins and can actually make the issue worse. If you go to most malls you can find a pair of gold studs for $15 or so... Beyond that, there isn't much you can do. When they act up, take out her earrings and keep them out, but that will just let them heal, it won't solve the issue... I've had my ears done for 15 years, and I STILL have the same issue, it's nothing to really worry about, but it can be painful and can lead to serious infections...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had the same problem when I was a kid. Literally for years. Once I started wearing gold it finally stopped.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• real gold or silver, u can get cheap ones at kmart
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010