Compost

Can I start a compost now? Any advice on how to get started? I don't want to buy a composter. I just want to have a section of my yard be outlined in wood to make a compost. Tips please! If I start composting now, I can use that soil for my garden next summer, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my friend just has a corner of her yard that she dumps everything in.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• just throw compost in the same spot everytime. the worms will find it and do their job. you can surround it with something to keep animals out.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My parents have one. I can't have one where I live or I would get fined, but I take my fruits and veggies to their house and dump it on their's. Anyways, they don't have it blocked in how you are explaining. Although you could do that. They just have a HUGE pile of dirt, dead plants from the flower beds (there are literally thousands of flowers in their massive yard), wood shavings and such from my dad's workshop and every day my dad takes the compost bucket back and dumps it on there from the kitchen. You don't want to put meat on there, it attracts the animals. But I am not sure how long it is until you can use it. Hmmm I never thought to ask my parents.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• We just dump all grass clippings, leaves, and fruit/vegetable matter in the corner of our lawn and turn it with a pitch fork twice a year.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2010