How long did you wait between kids? Toddler and baby?

How long did you wait after having your first child before having another? What's the biggest challenge you had if you were pregnant with your second when your first was a toddler or 2-3?

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest two are 14 months apart. My youngest son will be 3yrs and 2mos when this one is born... NONE of them were planned!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• it was not planned at all, but mine are 16 months apart. The biggest challenge for me was when I was put on lifting restrictions & semi-bedrest due to preterm labor from stress. It really sucks to not be able to pick up your baby!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and I am due any day with our second. I think now is a perfect time to have a second. They're just far enough apart and my daughter will start preschool in August so I will have time to adjust to the new baby.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When our son was 6 months we decided to go for the second. Needless to say it happened right away. They are about 14 months apart. The biggest challenge was not carrying, not holding, etc the one while pregnant. I actually had to live in "pregnancy prison" the last month of pregnancy and I delivered a month early. They wouldn't allow me to go home. I was in preterm labor from 6 months. I went home once after 2 weeks and ended up in labor again and readmitted for another 2 weeks. But anyways, it was difficult able to lift my other son. Obviously, I didn't listen. But it was just the way it was supposed to be. I can say as a mom of a 23 month old and a 9 month old, it's trying but awesome. I lost weight super fast too LOL Figured if I was going to be a SAHM I might as well have a couple of them at once. It is fun and is getting easier, for the most part.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Mine are two years apart.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• 10 years
    My oldest is 11 and my youngest is 1--both in May.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my dd will be 3 1/2 when this baby is born. we wanted to wait until she was out of diapers to have another. we enjoyed her being potty trained so we waited a little while longer. i'm still not looking forward to all those diapers. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• keep the answers coming! :) I really want to know what people think about this. I'm already turning 30 this year, and my son is 16 months now. I'm scared i won't be able to handle two kids close in age (they just need so much when they're young - I don't know how I would coordinate it all!) , but i don't want to wait too long before having another since I don't want to be having kids when I'm too old.
    crystalbean2

Comment by crystalbean2 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had my 1st in 2003 and decided to start trying right away when she was 2 months old. I wanted 6 kids and I wanted them one after another like doorsteps. Well that did not work out in our favor. We had some issues and it took us 5 years to conceive. We had out youngest 10 days before our oldests 6 birthday. My step kids are older then my kids Our oldest to his Oldest there is a 15 year age different and a 22 year age difference from his oldest to our youngest lol.
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• My son was 4-1/2 when my daughter was born, and that gap is perfect for us (of course, we've never experienced anything else!) It is great when an older child can help with a younger one, and it is endearing when the older one shows such affection for the little one.
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 10:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2010