campers, where do you get your drinking water?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You have to take it unless there is a spring near by
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I always brought bottled water with us.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• um bottled water???
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Always took bottled water. Even in camp sites with a faucet, I wouldn't drink from it, just use it to wash dishes and the like.

I've never camped somewhere with a freshwater spring near by though.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It's gonna be hard to bring a mineral water for 4 people. That would be too heavy. Is it ok to get water from the lake and bring a brita filter and boil the water instead?
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I buy a case of bottled water and freeze it. The frozen bottles are great for keeping stuff in the coolers cold - there's no mess like with bags of ice, nothing gets waterlogged. Then as it thaws you can drink it. I also bring a big jug - like 4 or 5 gallon - that I fill at home, to be used to refill water bottles and cooking. Most campgrounds we stay at have potable water faucets, but we do generally just use that for washing rather than drinking. I would not use lake or river water without an actual water purification system/tablets or whatever.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010