How do i get my 17 month old to go to SLEEP?

He refused to go to sleep. I tried reading to him (which usually works but not 2night), I tried laying there quietly with him, putting him in his own bed & taking him back everytime he got out of bed, I tried giving him his favorite stuffed animal, I tried being stern (he just stared at me). I'm out of ideas!!! I've been trying to get him to sleep for the past 2 hours!! Now my mom is trying. HELP!!!

NatesMommy118

Asked by NatesMommy118 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put on some light music, let him watch tv, or play a game with him, he will get tired eventually.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• sometimes u have to just give up.

But another thing I do is I have a crib mattress on the floor. I lay beside her while she lays in bed, I read my own books and sometimes read my bk aloud to her. She eventully goes to sleep.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• When we have nights like that with my 16 month old, we have to revert back to her being like a new baby. I sit in the big rocking recliner and just rock with her in the dark till she gets really sleepy or even asleep. I usually can get her down in about 30 mins on nights like that which do not come often but they do come.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Since we transitioned my sons bed about a month ago, I have been using the "Supernanny" technique. As you already stated that you tried (sit next to his bed and continue to replace him in there every single time (for as long as it takes) without saying a word until he finally falls asleep there. I have been doing this every single night since and every night he fell asleep quicker and attempted to get out of his bed less, and now he does not even try to get out. But I still need to sit there until he falls asleep which sucks, because I NEVER sat with or rocked him to sleep ever since he was born and never even let him sleep in our bed (EVER!, bad habit). good luck!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Try this tea, I drink it every night and it helps me
    1 chamomile tea bags
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 (4 ounce) water
    1 (4 ounce) milk
    make tea in water in micro safe cup add honey(i use 1 tablespoon or it is two sweet) add milk, this makes it just the right temp to drink. I got this off of www.recipezaar.com now known as www.food.com and it is call toddle tamer tea
    kat868

Answer by kat868 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Have you tried turning ALL the lights out making it totally dark and laying there with your eyes shut and not moving at all? dont pat his butt tickle his back or anything just lay there. Thats how we get my dd to go to bed. shell move around for about 15 min then eventually she'll just fall asleep. at first it took longer but after a while, shes used to it and knows when it's bed time.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2010