Would you...

take your two year old to a funeral? My grandmother is dying and I don't know if I should take him or not. What would you do?

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• THe baby won't understand a thing...won't harm him. So its really up to you if you can handle all the wiggling and maybe crying. You may have to leave the room if he cries or makes too much noise.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would not out of respect for the occasion and other people. Although you might not be bothered by your babies crying but other people will. Especially for a big occasion like this, they will probably not want to hear the baby. While they are mourning and some might be irritable and moody. They might even snap. I would look into baby sitting. It's not about the baby not understanding it's about the reverence given towards others IMO
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would if you are prepared for you or your husband to take her out if need be. My son was 2, but almost 3, when DH's grandmother passed and we took him to funeral home both days and to the funeral. He was also there and held her hand the night she passed. He was the only one whose hand she squeezed back or her eyelashes fluttered for. It was a good experience for him and he still talks about it. Every child is different though. Also the baby was a nice distraction for people to see the next generation and the circle of life and all that. You know your other relatives better and how rigid they are or casual.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree, NO.

Just out of respect, of a child's behavior.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No.. I didn't take my DD to her great grandfathers funeral. (My Papa).. she doesn't understand death, and would only think he was sleeping, and it was better for her not to have to see him like that, and be able to explain the situation to her in a better manner, than "oh there is a dead guy, and that was your papa, but it's not really anymore".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I didn't take my kids to any of those that have happend....I just don't want them to see that and be even more upset, that way they can just always remember their grandma's the way there where.....But that's just me and that's honestly what I feel is right..
    ThreeFates511

Answer by ThreeFates511 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2010