Does it matter to you how other people raise their kids?

When arguments about parenting crop up on CM, there always seems to be someone who says, "What does it matter to you know someone else is raising their kids? Mind your own business!"

I do care, actually. Obviously I care if a kid is being mistreated. But beyond that, I care because these kids are the future of our country. Obviously I'm not going to be some kind of parent police, and it is NOT my habit to tell other people how to raise their kids. But I do observe and feel worried or disgusted sometimes. I look at some parents and think, "That's beautiful, that's how I want to be with my kids." and others I think, "I'm so glad my kid is not growing up in that environment." or even, "Whew! My kids' taxes are gonna be payin' that kids' welfare one day!"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree with you completely! some people are kind of nuts. that way of thinking is archaic - we should care for the reasons you state. not oif they dont put socks on the kid or they give them a spanking but more so if a parent if is putting themselves before a kid and you can See a future of welfare of abuse.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I agree with you, I don't care how other people choose to raise their children either. As you stated if someone is hurting their child or neglecting them, then yes I guess I do care, especially if its severe and intervention is needed. I do think some of things you mentioned as well, and it makes me sad to think that some children will only repeat the same cycle as their family before them. I always thought as parents we are to want better for our children than what we had, so we protect them from themselves teaching them how to make good choices, guide and support to help them find their desires in life and love them above all.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Although there is little that can be do, i do care how others raise their children. As a former teacher of 11 years, i can tell you it matters so much. The kids who aren't parented well are often the most persuasive--either subtly or through bullying. They are the ones who do the hurting and the ones who get the good kids or the ones who teeter in indecision to do bad things and make bad decisions. Unfortunately, little will change because it is those parents who can't see their child doing any wrong. And those parents started being neglectful (in whatever way that relates to that family) in small ways when their child was just a baby. As a parent now, I probably would never have the guts (and it is not my place, right?) to speak up unless I really saw something awful or hurtful.
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well, there is a big difference between seeing a child being abused or neglected and having different parenting styles. I raise my kids Christian, I vaxed all 5 of them, nuresed all 5 of them. I gave them baby food at 4 months. I don't think cereal goes in a bottle but on a spoon. I have my way and you have yours. I see kids with no car seats, kids who are filthy dirty, kids out past cerfew, kids skipping school. Yes it makes me worry about the future of our country, but I still won't butt my nose in where it doesn't belong. I work hard to make my corner of the world a better place, and raise my kids to be smart, carring, decent human beings. I help others where I can, but I am not going to judge or get pissy at other moms. I still say butt out!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:53 AM on Jul. 14, 2010