• In the Spotlight:

Meds for PCOS

I have PCOS ( found out in 2007) ... I am done having kids, and I havent had my period in a long time.... but I still have all the symptoms of one ( bad cramping and bloating) and gaining weight badly ( even though I am on a low carb/low cal. diet)

I am going to a new Dr ( old Dr. told me PCOS is just something that EVERY WOMAN COMPLAINS OF & wouldnt even let me talk about it) ... and I want to talk about meds... most importantly I want something that will help with the weight but I cant find any good websites or info about what meds do what and what symptoms they have ( and I want to know about them before i go to the DR)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its closely tied to insulin resistance. Asked to be checked for that. Treatment for PCOS is generally glucophage which is for insulin resistance. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002. My docs put me on metformin( generic Glucophage) for the insulin resistance and spironolactone for the gross abnormal hair growth and water retention. It has helped with weight loss a little bit. If your doc was not even willing to talk about it I would find a new provider. They are there to listen to you not to blow you off. You are paying them.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 9:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2010