Tips for babies first shots

My ds first shots are coming up..andy tips or advice? I'm feeling rather nervous about the whole thing

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 11:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• research the vaccines thoroughly. be aware of what they are putting in your babies body. don't let them tell you you "have" to give them eight or ten needles at a time. We do six.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• He will be fine. Be sure to bring baby tylenol for after, but he will do great. My ds slept all that day after and wasn't any worse than usual. Just be careful of the spot they give the shot in for a few days. Make sure that nothing is pushing on in like shorts or anything because it will hurt... He will be fine momma, just be calm for him
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• give him some tylenol about an hour before the appt. its hard, you dont like to see them in pain, i almost started to cry (which i think most moms do). They don't even really realize its happening til the shot is pretty much done. goodl uck though :)
    Melissa_anne

Answer by Melissa_anne at 11:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• my son is 3 months. I asked my friends the same question before I took him in. Everyone told me to give him tylenol before, I didnt. i am glad I didnt listen to them because my doc said not to do that. The nurse checks for a fever right before they give the shots, if they have a fever then they wont give them shots until they are feeling better. if you give tylenol before hand it could bring down the fever and the doc wouldnt know your child had one.
    It wasnt as bad as I thought. I just looked away when they did the shots, I held him right away after and comforted him. i felt bad!! But it was all done with quick.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• there is no need to drug your child before. My son has barely let out a whimper while getting his shots nor when getting blood drawn. If your child seems to be unusually cranky afterwards, than u may want to give them a dose but I would wait until you see how baby reacts. I was told my son did not even cry when he was circumsized(sp?) at birth, maybe my little man is just tough. Every child is different.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't actually vaccinate my son, but as a nurse I have given lots of vaccines to other children. I think a good thing to remember is, this is usually more traumatic for mom than for the kid. He has no anxiety or fear before it happens, like mom does. He just knows a sudden sharp pain followed by his mama's gentle comfort. Most kids are usually fine after that. However, watch him closely for any odd behaviors or reactions and be sure to report anything you see immediately!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i agree you don't have to but it helped mine, give them some tylonol about a half hour or so before going. and then more at the next dose if they need it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Don't do it! If your child doesn't go to day care then hold off on immuniztions.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I didn't get any shots until 6 months (we are not high risk, we breastfeed, and we don't go to daycare, and aren't a hepatitis household and we don't work in medical facilities). And then I chose the DTaP only because of teh tetanus component as we visit a farm area every year. It was given at 6 months, then 9 months and I will not give any more of that shot becuase 2 has a 95-98% chance of confering complete immunity. f you aren't careful you can be tricked into giving that one series SIX times in five years which is insanity I have not decided on the next imunization series at 12 months. I will not be giving MMR until after age 2 (likely age 4 or 5 because then only ONE shot is needed). Hep B and chicken pox not until age 12. Prevnar is a no. Rotovirus hell no (its been taken off the market twice). The only shots on the table now are Hib and polio.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• DO NOT GIVE TYLENOL.

Tylenol has been shown to reduce the effectiveness of vaccines you give AND it masks symptoms of reactions that should be reported. Dr. sEasrs recommends a short term boost of Vitamin A and vitamin C to counteract side effects and increase efficacy. Also one of the reasons why I waited until 6 months so that I would not be messing with a pristine open gut.

go here Dr sears Vaccines and Vitamins
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010