should woman with disablity be mom's ?

I have a disablity and it seems that most every one that i know thinks i shouldn't be a mom ???

jedistar

Asked by jedistar at 11:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• F Them!!!

Who the heck are they to decide what is or isn't right for you? I work for a Non-profit that serves adults with disabilities and our participants never cease to amaze me at what they can do and their copacity to love. If you are in a loving and commited relationship and you want a child, GO FOR IT!! I bet you would be a better and more attentive mother then most of these "normal" people who claim you can't are.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2010

• noone understands what another woman's reality is unless they are that person. It is easy in our society to think that because someone is different either physically or mentally that they cannot possibly be good parents and that their children will have unfair, disadvantaged and horrible lives. This simply is not the case. If you want to start a family, please do. Just look into whatever assistance you think you may need (baby nurse, altered rooms, etc) early in your pregnancy.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• if you are able to take care of your kids why would it matter?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• of course!! as long as you have support from the people that really matter, then go for it!! if there were restrictions on who should have kids.. then half of us wouldn't have them! :)
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I am shocked that anyone would say that to you! Some people have a lot of nerve. Many people with disabilities have been and are good parents. I have a friend who is deaf, and she is a wonderful mother. Don't worry about what other people say. It is none of their business.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• If you can love and take care of a kid, there is NO reason you shouldn't have that joy!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It all depends on the disability. and the individuals ability to take care of a child.
    Lindsey1118

Answer by Lindsey1118 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would think that it would depend on the disability and the severity of the disability. As long as you are able to care for your children then of course you can be a mommy. However, if it were me and the disability was hereditary and something that impared the quality of life, I may consider adopting.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• IMHO it really depends on the disability. But only SEVERE disability! If there is nothing stopping you from actually taking care of a child, then I see nothing wrong with it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• The only thing I would worry about- well two things really... Is it SAFE for you to have a baby? Only a doctor can answer that. Are you able to care for a baby? Is your disability so profound it requires hours of attention that you could not share your attention with a child? If you answered yes to the second one, do you have means to have someone else help you with the baby while you care for yourself? Is it likely that if you get pregnant that the baby will have the same disability you do, and if so, are you ok with that? (meaning are you going to be guilt ridden if the baby has your disability)

Just some things to consider. No one can tell you what's right or wrong for you, but people do like to judge. Best wishes, mama.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2010