If you have a child that wants to take piano lessons and you rent a piano and they have been taking them for 2 yrs and want to quit would you force them and buy a new piano making them taking lessons until they just absolutely reject?

jesussaves58

Asked by jesussaves58 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not force it
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I'm not quiet following why you would buy a new piano if your child didn't want to play piano. I wouldn't force my child to do something they don't want to do, now if I won't allow them to quite mid-stream either. If you signed up her for lessons for x months then she needs to stick it out, and she can decide if she wants to continue with lessons after that. I would also wonder why she now wants to quite, does she have other activities that are more important to her, or is she missing time with friends...I'd guess I'd want to know why she feels the way she does, but again if I paid for an extended amount of time then she must stick it out. However I wouldn't buy a new piano and force her if she said she didn't want to take lessons any longer, I'd stick it out with what we have and call it good.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• No. They say that a child should commit to an instrument for 2 years. If they don't like it after that then let them quit.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I wouldnt force my child to play an instrument they didnt want to.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 11:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I would talk to the child and see how they feel about the lessons. Casually I couldn't say for sure because I don't know how old the child is. If the child is really young, I wouldn't think it would be right to force them. In an older child, they can tell you how they feel about about it more openly. Plus, if you force the child into taking lessons, they may be afraid to express their feelings about the piano. FYI...I was nine when I started it, and I really enjoyed it. I had lessons until I was 17. My daughter and niece both tried the lessons, and thought that after a few lessons, they could play as well as I could. It doesn't work that way. Make sure the child knows this before they start. If they have seen someone who plays very well, they need to know that it won't happen over night. I will take years.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010