FOR CHRISTIANS ONLY: WHY DO YOU CALL YOURSELF A CHRISTIAN? WHAT ARE YOUR CONVICTIONS?

POINT-COUNTER-POINT: The name, "Christian" seems to be very misunderstood these days since almost 75% of Americans call themselves Christians, and yet our country shows little morals, knows little scripture, and our children are going in all directions like a tomato without a stake (yes, a line from an Italian uncle).

SouthernLady7

Asked by SouthernLady7 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I call myself a christian based on my beliefs. I was born jewish, but my beliefs are christian. I dont proclaim to be the worlds best christian, but I do try my hardest to show it. And as of late, I am trying even harder. My convictions are between me and the Lord. Parially because I dont believe in giving people a reason to judge, but also cuz I have a lot.
    2nme

Answer by 2nme at 1:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I call myself a Christian because I believe in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and that he reflects the fulfillment of the inherent potential God has instilled in us all, as well as the potential of mankind as a whole. I believe that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man.

I do believe Jesus shows us the Way in which God wants us to live (with love and compassion), the Truth about God's character (that He is love), and a new Life full of meaning, purpose, and love for God and our fellow man.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:39 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• Well you do have a point there!! But it is the parents rights to get the kids to Sunday School and Church!!! My father would not let us out of going unless we were upchucking or had a fever!!! Also if your kiils aren't seeing you doing the right thing yourselves why should they think they should have to go!! Also I have always believed that if you had been baptized God had forgiven of you of all of your sins as long as you don't keep repeating your sins or new ones then you are a Christian.
    Jesussaves58
    Billie Mae58
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• My beliefs tell me I'm a Christian. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, His only son who died for our sins. I believe in compassion, humility, and love. I believe that God can show us all of that.

However, I also believe that most a lot of Christians are only hurting themselves. They force too much on their kids and they push their families away. Even when those kids and other family members still call themselves Christian, they do so more out of habit than anything. If some Christians would just let up and show compassion rather than hatred, spread truth rather than lies, then things might be different.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I wish that you culd feel as convicted about YELLING ON THE INTERWEBS as you do about christianity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• It seems to me that the word Christian gets used too loosely. I believe Jesus is the Son of God, that he died for our sins and rose on the 3rd day. I believe God created man and everything in this world. I believe in the Holy Spirit. I believe that there are angels who walk this earth. I have a personal relationship with Jesus, it's not the best but I am working on it everyday. I believe he loves me unconditionally, without fail no matter what I've done. I believe the Bible is 100% accurate and I try to teach my children to love your neighbor, bless those who curse you and do good.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 11:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2010