How can you have children and no driver's license?

I am part of alot of groups on here, with a variety of women. I have noticed alot of Sahms do not have license. Why? I understand if you have a medical condition in which you are not allowed to. I cannot imagine life without being able to drive. How could a person depend on everyone for transportation when they are capable? How do you get your children to the doctors? I think license is very important when it comes to having children. What do you think? Not trying to start drama just curious.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 11:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I suppose they take the bus or a cab.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I think it probably depends on where u live. In my area I can't imagine going w/out driving but if I lived in a big city it would probably work w/ the help of cabs, buses, train, etc. There is always a way!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I don't understand this either, and I've noticed that a lot of the ones I know at least have no reason really. I didn't get mine until after my DS1 was born but I had to bend over backwards to get mine because of my sight problems.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I had a choice when I was a single mother it was either have a roof over our head and food or a car and insurance. You can better live without a car then a house. After having a license seems not so important.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• i dont have one. we live in a city and everything is close. if i need anything i can take my dd and walk to the store. i'm a home body and dont like going places to begin with so it's not a big deal for me. and we cant afford a second car. or gas for a second car. or insurance.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• I guess they depends on their husband.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• It really depends where they live. I live in the city, and my neighbor is 45 and has never driven a car in her life. She has a 16 year old daughter and takes her on the bus and train or they walk. Lucky enough everything is pretty close in the city. But she does have to depend on family or neighbors in case of an emergency, or longer trips. But she has done just fine, her daughter was involved in sports clubs, and they did everything a child with a driving parent would. As far as living in a suburbs.. it would be more difficult.. but there are still buses and public transportation for a reason :)
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• If you are a member of this site, you should already know how babies come about.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2010

• Wow you need to learn to read!!! That was not my question........ I think you just read the title and replied.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jul. 14, 2010

• I think it would be pretty hard, but harder to not have a car than to not have a license. Our car was in and out of the shop for over 6 months and it was brutal having to get someone to bring me or my dh to the store to get food or bring us to go pay bills that couldn't be taken out of our account, or bringing our twins to the doctor. Honestly, if it was an emergency and the parent didn't have a license but was fully capable of driving and had a car to drive, then they could just drive and hope they don't get pulled over and if they did they could explain why they were driving without it.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 12:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2010